Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Berry Green Monster


When I get sick my body goes into random spasms.  Nothing seems to work right.  It is miserable.

I am happy to report that 7 days after waking up with the worst sore throat in the history of the world (seriously), I am feeling almost back to normal.  I pride myself on being relatively healthy so it is always a blow to abilities when I get sick. I completely dropped the ball with my vitamin intake over the holidays.  I don't think sugar has many redeeming qualities for avoiding colds.

This time around I didn't hesitate to start popping the pills, Sudafed to be exact.  I do however like to try to boost all of my vitamins to beat the bugs the natural way.  I started scarfing down smoothies jam packed with vitamin C and antioxidants.


Berry Green Monster

Ingredients:
1 banana
1 C fresh baby spinach, packed
1/2 C frozen mixed berries
1/2 C OJ
1/2 C plain nonfat yogurt
1 Tbsp chia seeds

Directions:
Place all ingredients in blender and turn on for 1-2 minutes till thoroughly combined.

Top with 1/4C granola.


Just to be safe I have also been popping one multi vitamin and one 1,000mg of vitamin C daily (one in the morning and one at night with dinner).  I think if I had kept this up a bit more consistently before the holidays I would not have gotten sick.

Do you have any healing remedies for colds?

What do you do to say healthy?

13 comments:

  1. ood mmmmm delightful, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go for a lite miso soup with kombu seaweed based broth. Seems to help. Hope you stay well. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great smoothie recipe. I looove incorporating greens, so much healthier than fruit alone. My cold remedy is homemade Italian wedding soup. It will work wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am scared of smoothies with greens in them! I have never had one, so I have no idea what I am talking about, but they just scare me :)
    Glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily: I was just over on The Culinary Lens.

    You mentioned you had "lamb lollypops" for your wedding.

    Do you have the recipe to share?

    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greens do have a lot of things your body needs, so I am sure this smoothie has the vote from doctors as well as nutritionists. Definitely worth a try when you are run down or sick. Glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uhm, wow! Haha, I won't lie and say that it looks delicious, but the flavors actually sound wonderful, and what a healthy dish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you are feeling better! I usually want something warm when I'm sick and go for soup, but I love all the vitamins in this smoothie and can imagine its health powers as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Full of all kinds of good-for-you stuff! I'm glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I try hard to just keep a positive attitude - it's amazing how feeling mentally down can make you feel so tired and run down! Glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been on an antioxidant smoothie binge lately. They are so delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry that you were sick. Hope you are all better. It's horrible to sick during the holiday. Now this looks like very healthy meal! I go for something warm (when we sick we usually eat udon or something simple) but this looks more nutritious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Emily,

    Just dropping by to let you know I made your Green Monster for SRC....it was so yummy that i think I've made it 4 or 5 times this month! Thx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...