Monday, January 23, 2012

Chicken and Mushroom Stroganoff

I guess I owe a bit more of an explanation. Last week was a bad week for many, many reasons.  I thought it best not to blog this weekend as I had nothing but complaints and negativity to post. It was a bad week.

We don't have a true diagnosis for Mr. J. He has to go to another doctor this week. The good news is he is doing much better and is almost back to his normal self.  I think he would rather be sick again as he had it pretty good with me waiting on him 24/7.  

The problem is with stomach issues the way to get better comes with a more restrictive diet.  Remember all of those fried foods and steaks from last weekend.  No good.  We are going low fat and little spice for a while. The diet has improved a bit from white bread, rice, and chicken broth.  This was the first real test on Saturday night.  It was a winner in my book for flavor and Mr. J didn't feel bad after eating it.  Score!
 
Chicken and Mushroom Stroganoff

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided into 1/2 tablespoon servings
1 1/2 lb boneless, skinned chicken breasts
1 chicken broth concentrate package
3 cups sliced mushrooms
1/2 onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup low-fat sour cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 oz noodles, cooked without salt or fat (Bowties)


Directions:
1. Cut chicken breasts into 1/2" strips




2. Spray a large skillet with the nonstick cooking spray, then add 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil.  Heat oil until hot over a medium-high heat.  Add chicken breast strips and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes, or until it is no longer pink. Remove chicken and set aside.




3. Adding the remaining 1/2 vegetable oil to the same skillet.  Saute mushrooms, onions and garlic for 3-4 minutes.



4. Add low-fat sour cream and chicken broth to the skillet. Stir and heat thoroughly.




5. Add chicken to the mushroom mixture  and serve over noodles


I was completely impressed by how good this turned out.  To be completely honest, the new dietary restrictions are similar to how I would eat anyway.  Maybe eating like this again I will lose a few pounds along the way...the ones I gained when Mr. J took over cooking weeknight dinners.


5 comments:

  1. Sometimes all it takes to get better is a change in diet and I am glad to hear that Mr J. is doing much better!
    This dish is about like the one I had last night. We went out to eat and I just wanted something that did not have a lot of grease or cheese, so this was the pick. Glad to find this recipe today, so I can prepare at home and eat again. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to hear Mr J is feeling better and your ideas to keep his stomach healthy sound still really tasty - prime example = this recipe
    My dad and brother are carnivores of the year :)
    Thanks!!!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Aus Day Green And Gold Cake
    http://gobakeyourself.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's miserable to be sick and not know what's wrong. I home Mr. J gets better very soon! This looks like a very happy comforting dish. Hope it all gets better for you!! Take care! ~ Ramona

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really hope you soon find out what is up and life gets better!
    The dish looks delicious, and very healthy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I hope they can figure out what is going on with Mr. J soon! I know that must be so frustrating for you both! I love chicken stroganoff and I'm glad he was able to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...