Monday, October 1, 2012

Caramelized Brussels Sprouts


Have you ever had a melt down?  A point when you just cannot deal anymore? I did last night. I needed a pity party. 

We were having the time of our life in Iowa.  Just when we were getting ready to head to the airport I got a phone call from Delta.  Our first flight was delayed and we were going to make our connection. No way, no how, even with wishful thinking. 



There are not too many flights out of Des Moines Sunday afternoon. I was told not only were we not going to make our connection, but that there was no possible way to get back to Connecticut before the next flight on Monday morning. 



It would have been nice to extend our stay but I had a can-not-miss meeting in Albany this morning.  I had to get back.  After a bit of pushing and giving lots of alternatives to the representative, we found another flight which due to a delay, we would make.



We were still going to be arriving very late, much later than planned but at least we would be in Connecticut.  Well in the rush to get through security to catch this delayed flight, I completely forgot my lovely blue water bottle still had water in it.  

I forgot until the TSA man came over and said he would have to go through my bag.  Apparently water like that cannot just be dumped out and rescanned.  No, I would have to go out of the secure area, dump it out and then go through security all over again.  There was no time for this...nor did I have the patience to wait in line again.

I told him we couldn't wait and to just keep the bottle but at this point I was completely in tears.  I am pretty sure the guy thought I was crazy. I am pretty sure Mr. J thought I was crazy, although he did stay by my side.  He also went out and bought me a PINK water bottle today.  It was waiting for me when I got back home from my Albany meeting. Seriously, how did I get so lucky?


This recipe has nothing to do with my freak out. It is very good though.  Mr. J think Brussels Sprouts are a bit bitter.  This recipe takes that right out of the picture with a bit of brown sugar.

Caramelized Brussels Sprouts

Adapted from Eat Live Run
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes




Ingredients (serves 4)
  • 12-14 large Brussels sprouts
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • pinch sea salt
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup roughly chopped walnuts, toasted
Instructions

Slice each Brussels sprout very thin until you have a mound of feathery Brussels sprout ribbons.

Heat the olive oil over medium high in a large skillet and saute the garlic for 30 seconds.

Add the Brussels sprouts and continue sauteing for another 4-5 minutes, until bright green and tender.
Add the sea salt and brown sugar and toss together. Finish by adding the toasted nuts.
Powered by Recipage

4 comments:

  1. Oh god that sounds like an awful experience my friend, you deserve a hot fudge sundae for going through it - at least it ended ok!
    And instead of a sundae, these greens look healthier but just as delicious :)

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    P.S. Come over and enter my international giveaway to celebrate my blogiversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. Air travel will make you totally lose it. I think I would have needed to recover with a cocktail rather than Brussels sprouts but I do like them like this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you found a flight...but sorry it caused you to get home so late. Flying is such a pain these days!!! I have Brussels sprouts in the fridge. If I didn't have a shaved salad planned, I would make your delicious looking recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Brussels sprouts... love that you caramelized them, love that you shredded them... love this dish. :) Sorry to hear about your ordeal at the airport... but Mr.J... what a sweetheart! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...