Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Turkey Paprikash



These pictures do not do this dish justice.  I was starving and quickly took a few with my cell phone before I dove right in head first, mouth opened.  


With all of our travel, the key to not wasting food and not eating out all of the time (even though sometimes it feels like we do) is frozen foods and canned foods.  I know it doesn't sound all that great but I promise its not so bad if you are careful. 



A few weeks ago I saw this recipe and thought it sounded awfully good. I went out and got the ingredients before realizing that Mr. J and I weren't going to be around together for a few nights.  Well, the turkey cutlets went into the freezer and the rest of the ingredients were fine - non perishable items.  Canned tomatoes are one of my favorite staples.  


Fast forward, to this week and ta-da.  Simply defrost the meat in the refrigerator 24 hours ahead of time and the rest is all set.  

This recipe is super simple to follow and put together. It was one of the best, least messy dishes I left for Mr. J to make. He had no complaints and we both thought it tasted delicious.  Think creamy tomato soup with chunks of tomatoes and onions, mixed with tender turkey and noodles.  


The leftovers were pretty fantastic too.  We add this to the dinner rotation for the rest of the colder months.


Turkey Paprikash

by Emily Morris, Everyday Food Magazine
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: saute entree tomato pasta



Ingredients (serves 4)
  • coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 8 ounces whole-wheat egg noodles
  • 1 small boneless, skinless turkey breast half (about 2 pounds), cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
  • 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 can (14.5 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes in juice
  • 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
Instructions

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook noodles until al dente; drain. In a bowl, toss turkey with 1 tablespoon paprika; season with salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium. Working in batches, brown turkey, 3 to 5 minutes; transfer to a plate. Add onion to skillet; cook, stirring, until tender, 4 to 6 minutes.

Return turkey to skillet (along with any juices); add tomatoes (with juice), 1 tablespoon paprika, and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Cook, breaking up tomatoes with a wooden spoon, until turkey is opaque throughout, 2 to 4 minutes.

Remove from heat, and stir in sour cream; season with salt and pepper. Serve paprikash over noodles.
Powered by Recipage

3 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious...and even better, I already have everything I need to make this! Thank you for sharing such a delicious recipe (and one I plan on making right away!) I hope you are having a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand you wanting to dive right into this dish. Looks delicious and very comforting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only know my mom's paprikash, but she always makes it with chicken and without tomatoes. It's one of my favorites, and now I can't wait to try your version!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...