Thursday, October 11, 2012

Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup



In all of my travels the last couple of weeks I managed to get a cold.  The true sign that I am starting to get sick is sneezes. I never sneeze.  When I start sneezing, I am on the brink a cold or some other nasty nasally condition.




Sneezing is my warning; I immediately get on the defense. Lots and lots of OJ, more liquids than normal, vitamins, and more sleep.  This method tends to let me keep sneezing and sniffling for a few days but never really leads to anything else. 




We happened to have leftovers from a roasted chicken in the fridge and I decided to make some chicken soup for an extra cold battle initiative.  Even if I wasn't trying to fight a cold this soup would have hit the spot.  Veggies, chicken, broth, and a bit of milk for texture and flavor (you can more it more creamy by using whole milk or half and half).




Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: soup/stew chicken winter



Ingredients (serves 6)
  • 1 large onion. chopped
  • 1 large carrot, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 6 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup uncooked wild rice, prepared according to packaging
  • 1 pound chicken, cooked and chopped
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 cup skim milk
Instructions
In a large pan saute onion, carrot and garlic in the butter until soft and tender, about 5 minutes.

Slowly add broth.

Stir in prepared rice, chicken, salt and pepper. Bring to boil over medium heat.

Cook for a few minutes until it starts to thicken. Stir in milk and cook for 3-5 minutes.
Powered by Recipage

7 comments:

  1. There's nothing better than a bowl of scrummy soup when you're not feeling your best. This sounds and looks lovely. Might give this one a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing is better than soup when you're feeling under the weather. We haven't been sick yet this year (knock on wood) but I still want to make this chicken and wild rice soup. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love wild rice soups! This looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you feel better soon! This soup looks so comforting and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great that you linked in, thanks. have a good one

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could use this delicious looking soup today. Both my children are home sick from some "bug" that has them feeling less than great. Hope you're feeling better now from your cold. Have a wonderful weekend my friend. ~ Ramona :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...