Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Tomato Basil Soup and WIAW

My meals have been lame-o for the last few days. Leftovers. Cereal.  Whatever I can find in the fridge that is easy to put together.  



Mr. J is gone and I have a ton of work to get done while I am in the office for a few days.

The most impressive thing I put together was this amazing lunch.



Served on a cold, cloudy day that was truly meant for soup.  Have I told you all that soup is one of my favorite things.  We have a store near by that has about 20 varieties of soup daily. If I was made of money I would get some each and every day...even in the summer.  I love it!



Of course you can make it too. This recipe is the perfect amount - two bowls when you make it and two bowls for lunch the next day.  Enough to enjoy but not so much you feel like you are swimming up to your ears for the week.


Tomato Basil Soup

by Emily Morris, Cooking Light JANUARY 2002
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: soup/stew tomato basil winter



Ingredients (serves 4)
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 (14.5-ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 2 cups fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
  • Basil leaves (optional)
Instructions
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in the broth, salt, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes. Stir in basil.

Place half of the soup in a blender; process until smooth. Pour pureed soup into a bowl, and repeat procedure with remaining soup. Garnish with basil leaves, if desired.
Powered by Recipage

Dinner I managed to put together some black beans and rice in a quesadilla.  This was probably the second most impressive thing I put together for the week.  It actually required a pan and the stove.



Note to self: Talking on the phone while cooking is not the smartest maneuver. 

Sometimes it is good to have some low key weeks.  I will say though I spent way to long on Pinterest forming wonderful dinners in my head last night.  I will save those for when Mr. J comes home.


10 comments:

  1. Well that's impressive!! the soup looks so thick and flavorful. I know when I'm on my own (which is rare) I don't even think of cooking!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a big tomato soup eater, but my husband would love this recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Over the summer when I was babysitting, my mom always seemed to call me right as I was beginning to cook on the stove. Really, the water had always JUST started boiling. It wasn't that it was hard to cook while talking, I was just worried that my phone would get water damage from all of that steam. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been consumed with tomato recipes that last few days this is just making me crave it even more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am all about soup...easy and delicious and soul warming. And quesadillas are a go-to choice for an easy and tasty meal. Thanks for sharing the deliciousness, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm nope definitely not lame-o ;)

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm making tomato basil sauce right now and it looks quite like your soup :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. All your food looks so good. I'm intrigued by your green breakfast.

    Nothing beats a bowl of soup on a cold day. That one looks yummy. I love making soup.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic soup. Tomorrow's Food on Friday is all about soup. Hope you pop by and link in. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The soup looks thick and creamy - that's how I like it. You chose delicious flavors too, E. Love basil and tomato.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...