Friday, May 3, 2013

lamb meatballs with toasted orzo

I plan my meals, snacks, grocery lists days in advance.  I don't want to be unprepared. Currently I have only about 2 cups worth of flour. I want to make muffins that require 3 cups. I am stressed. 

Tonight my parents are arriving for the weekend. We have plans to go to the Yankees. Apparently half the team is hurt. Good times. I just enjoy the crowd anyways. 

To prepare I want to make the muffins, plus granola. I contemplated cinnamon rolls too.  Overkill?  Mother's Day is coming up.  A chocolate dessert is happening as well.


As for dinner, well these lamb meatballs kind of speak for themselves.  Lots of fresh herbs.  Served on a bed of spinach, orzo, and feta.  

Mr. J was smitten. Make this for the ones you love. 


lamb meatballs with toasted orzo

by Emily Morris, Adapted from Rachel Ray
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Keywords: bake saute entree lamb
Ingredients (serves 4)
  • 1 quart chicken stock
  • 2 slices white bread, crusts trimmed
  • Milk, for soaking
  • 1 pound ground lamb
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
  • 3 tablespoons grated onion
  • 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 lemon, juiced, plus 2 tsp zest
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • Salt and pepper
  • olive oil, for drizzling
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 1/2 cups orzo
  • 1 10 ounce box thawed frozen chopped spinach, squeezed dry
  • 1 cup crumbled feta
Instructions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . In a medium saucepan, heat the chicken stock over low heat; keep warm. In a small bowl, soak the bread in the milk.

In a large bowl, combine the lamb and egg. Wring out any excess milk from the soaked bread and crumble the bread into the meat. Stir in 1/4 cup parsley, onion, garlic, lemon zest, oregano, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Drizzle with olive oil; mix.

Roll the mixture into 20 meatballs and arrange on a nonstick or parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until browned, 15 to 18 minutes.

Meanwhile,in a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the orzo and cook until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in a few ladlefuls of the warm stock and allow it to absorb before adding more. Keep adding stock a little at a time and cook until the orzo is al dente, about 20 minutes.

Stir in the spinach to heat through in the last minute of cooking. Remove from the heat. Stir in the lemon juice and feta.

Serve the orzo in shallow bowls. Top with the meatballs and remaining 1/4 cup parsley.
Powered by Recipage

4 comments:

  1. Wow... I just did a mini standing ovation for you. What a fabulous dish!! I love meatballs dinners.. this one is a total winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make meatballs look super delicious :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a planner, too...and it makes me nervous when I get low on flour or sugar, as well. Must be the nature of a food blogger. I haven't done much with ground lamb, but I'm a huge meatball fan...yours are very tempting!

    PS...thanks for your sweet words of condolence. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good day! This is my first visit to your blog! We
    are a team of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a
    community in the same niche. Your blog provided us beneficial
    information to work on. You have done a extraordinary job!



    Also visit my blog post: pozycjonowanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...