Friday, July 29, 2011

Honey Bear Granola

Thank goodness it is Friday.  This week had some pretty long days.  Most days I was out of the apartment by 7am and didn't get back till after 7pm.  These long days flew by and it is hard for me to believe the week is over.

Knowing this would be a crazy week I made some granola last weekend in order to have some easy to-go breakfasts ready to grab and run out the door. 
Normally I make granola with maple syrup but this time I decided to switch it up a bit with honey.

I am fascinated with the honey containers made in the bear shape.  I think they are so cute.  Unforunately, Trader Joe's doesn't agree because their honey comes in the a standard plastic round shape.  Let me just say this is not nearly as fun as the bear. 


I like my granola hearty so this has plently of nuts and seeds.  You can always sweeten it up a bit with some dried cranberries or cherries. 

Honey Bear Granola
Adapted from Ina Garten's recipe

Ingredients:
4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
1 cup walnuts
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup sunflower seeds
2 cups sliced almonds
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup good honey
1 cup roasted, unsalted cashews

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Toss the oats, coconut, seeds, and nuts together in a large bowl. Whisk together the oil and honey in a small bowl. Pour the liquids over the oat mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until all the oats and nuts are coated.

Pour onto a 13 by 18 by 1-inch sheet pan. Bake, stirring occasionally with a spatula, until the mixture turns a nice, even, golden brown, about 45 minutes.


Remove the granola from the oven and allow to cool, stirring occasionally. Store the cooled granola in an airtight container.


5 comments:

  1. Oo love this! Looks delicious, I love granola! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making granola and I haven't done it in ages. Thanks for the reminder. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer granola made with honey! This looks de-lish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - this looks delicious! My hubby loves granola and would pretty much put it on top of anything! I think I should make him some!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...