Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Multi-tasking Master

I like to think of myself as I highly skilled multi-tasker.  I can get a ton accomplished in one day. Heck, I can get a ton accomplished before 10am.  This can be good and bad.  Mr. J reaps a lot of the benefits.  Mainly, if I get so much done he doesn’t need too much.  However, at times my obsessive multi-tasking can get a bit over hand. 

For instance, I get stress out coming home from vacation. Basically once the trip home commences regardless if it be by car, plane, or train, I immediately start thinking of all the things that need to get done.  I am either on vacation or not.  There is no in between for me. No easing back into the real world.

So after a bit stressful Monday night of preparing for the week ahead – unpacking, putting the clean dishes away, assessing the food situation, sorting the mail, and general straightening up.  (No matter how much I clean before we head out the door, the apartment always looks messing when I come home from vacation.)


For Tuesday, I had big plans. I took the morning before work easy – only a few tasks.  Breakfast dishes in the dishwasher and organizing the kitchen table of miscellaneous papers.  I sat down and wrote a grocery list and planned the week’s dinner menu. Lucky for me, we had a bit of things left over from last week that were still good.  The grocery list was pretty short, mostly milk and fresh produce. 

The plan for the day was:
1.       Grocery shopping at lunch time

2.       A quick trip to the post office

3.       Extra long time at the gym

4.       Clean bathrooms after dinner

Yep and that was just for Tuesday.  I don’t think the list was too daunting; I just really, really hate grocery shopping on week days.   I feel so accomplished when I get everything done.  The bonus is that on the weekends there is far less to do and I feel like I can enjoy myself more. 

And now if I haven’t exhausted you yet, I leave you with a great side dish recipe – healthy, quick and most importantly delicious!

Mediterranean Quinoa
Adpated from How to Cook Everything
Ingredients:
1C red quinoa
2 1/2C water
1/2C feta cheese
1 roasted red pepper, diced

Directions:
1.  Add red quinoa to water and bring to a boil.  Turn down to a simmer for 20 minutes.  Make sure you add more water if it all evaporates.

2. Remove from heat and fluff with fork.  Add cheese and peppers.

3. Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Can be served warm or cold.  If cold, you might consider adding some lemon juice.


So maybe my multi-tasking is more being very productive, as I didn't really do multiple tasks at the same time.  However, I was very happy with all I accomplished yesterday and even more happy that today will be a lot slower.

11 comments:

  1. Way to go! I love to make lists of everything I need to do and then check them off as I go. It really keeps me moving and gives me a great sense of accomplishment.

    The quinoa looks amazing!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday was a busy day for me also, I get today to relax and then Thursday is back to being busy.

    I like quinoa, but have not had it in awhile-I may pick some up my next trip to the grocers. This recipe may end up on my plate-delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quinoa looks incredible! I love that you paired it with shrimp, what a delicious healthy meal :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! I've always wanted to try quinoa. I can be a multi-taskers as well, but I try not to do it too often. Don't want hubby to know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you! Lists etc. Well, somebody has to do it and they're lucky to have you around to execute it all! Great quinoa dish, Madame.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lists are the key to success!! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have got to try making quinoa. Your's looks so scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, I had quinoa in my lunch today!

    Multi-tasking is key, eh? Probably one of the best skills to have, in my opinion - even if it gets a bit obsessive :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to take some lessons in productivity from you. I'm a great multi-tasker, but I never finish any of those things. In fact, my internet tab count is up to 8 right now.
    HA!

    Red quinoa? Cool. I've never had it. Does it taste differently than the white stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, and I HATE coming home from vacation. I also have that problem when I come home that I feel like I have to do everything right away because it is bugging me so much.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...