Saturday, December 8, 2012

The Salt Exchange, Portland, Maine


Way back on Thanksgiving weekend, Mr J and I went out with my parents to a restaurant we haven't been to before in Portland.  The Salt Exchange is located right downtown in the historical Old Port section of Portland.  

It was a Friday night after a big day of eating so we were all thinking light.  We shared two appetizers.

CHARCUTERIE OF CURED MEATS WITH SEASONAL ACCOMPANIMENTS

ARTISANAL CHEESE TRIO, SEASONAL ACCOUTREMENTS, HOUSE-MADE SOURDOUGH

Both were great but we weren't told what cheese or meat was what.


My mom ordered the CAESAR SALAD WITH BABY LETTUCE, CROUTONS, PECORINO, FRESH WHITE ANCHOVY, mainly because she loves anchovies.  It was a done deal that no one would be sharing a bite of that salad except Mr. J.


I got the ROASTED PEAR SALAD, GOAT CHEESE, CANDIED ALMONDS, HONEY-CHAMPAGNE VINAIGRETTE.  It was amazing.  Pretty much anything with goat cheese floats my boat but this combination with sweet almonds and roasted pears was fantastic.


Mr. J got some raw oysters.  He loves them and can never get enough.  It kills me because he can suck 6 of those down in no time and is still hungry.


I also got the small portion of CASCO BAY CIOPPINO STEW WITH LOCAL CRAB, HAKE, MUSSELS, SPICY LOBSTER-TOMATO BROTH, GRILLED SOURDOUGH BREAD.  The broth was super rich and tasted more of beef stock than lobster.


My mom and Mr. J got FISH TACO TRIO, CABBAGES, ONION, GUACAMOLE, CHIPOTLE MAYO, CORN TORTILLAS.  They ended up having quite the bite with the chipotle mayo.  

We had a fun night snacking on everyone's dishes.  The food was much more delicious than my silly phone pictures let on. 

The location is just off the beaten path of the main drag making it more quiet than some of the other restaurants in the area but still fun to people watch on Commercial Street.  

The Salt Exchange Restaurant
245 Commercial Street
Portland, Maine 04101
207-347-5687

2 comments:

  1. It all sounds wonderful...I love the idea of a lighter dinner AND taking bites of everyone's dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always fun to share... because I always think to myself "I should have ordered that." when I see what everyone else got :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...