Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Bread salad



Thoughts on the week thus far...

1. I wish the work days would be 3 and the weekend days be 4.

2. I am torn on whether I am enjoying the heat or hating it.

3. Horribly scared to see a full month electricity bill.

4. Realized who needs a TV schedule when there is OnDemand.

5. Happy and Annoyed I have to go to Maine this weekend.

6. Wish I could buy a new dress for the wedding this weekend.

7. Wish it was the groom's job to plan the wedding - or at least execute the wedding plans.


8. Having my dress fit last weekend does not mean I am no longer stressed about it fitting in two weeks or even four weeks.


I could go on for a while but I don't think or want anyone to know all of the thoughts circulating in my head. I will go on to tell you about this divine thing I created the other day.


A few months ago I had a side dish of bread salad. I forget what the main dish was but that was why I ordered the meal. I had no idea what a bread salad was. Since then I have heard it mentioned a few times but never till this week did I ever contemplate making it. I have a good loaf of bread that I am afraid will go bad. I would cry to throw away homemade bread so one of the uses I came up with is this.



Bread Salad
Ingredients:
1 pint grape tomatoes - diced, and chunked
1 cucumber - diced
1/2 cup diced fresh mozzarella
10 leaves of basil
4 slices of good bread - cubed
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
garlic salt
pepper


1. Put cubed bread in bowl with oil, garlic salt, and pepper. Toss with spoon till bread is coated with oil.


2. Spread bread on cookie sheet. Bake on 400 degrees for about 10 minutes. I use a toaster oven. You can also use the broil setting. You just want the bread slightly toasted.


3. In previously used bowl add all remaining ingredients.


4. Add warm bread and toss into rest of the ingredients.


5. Combine and eat.



Basically you can take any salad and throw in these croutons for a bit of an extra zing. It really becomes a bread salad when the bread substitutes the lettuce leaves.

1 comment:

  1. 1- I'll even take 3 day weekends
    2- me too! Love it if I was at the beach, hate it when I have to do work in it outside or watch it from the distance of the office windows
    3- That's why ours are automatically paid for through a credit card while I pretend not to see them
    4- It's even better if you have Wii and Netflix and/or dVR
    5- no comment
    6- I wish I could buy a new dress every day
    7- yup
    8- It'll fit. It's magic. It always does. And if it doesn't, they'll fix it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...