Monday, April 8, 2013

Sweet Potato Gnocchi

I am going to make a confession. I am making it knowing I am not alone out there. See yesterday I was a bit guilty about our big car purchase. I don't like to spend money on expensive things. It takes me weeks to get over it. OK that might be an exaggeration but I will be in a state of disbelief for a few more days. 

Mr. J up and went golfing so I was sitting there thinking about the big car outside and decided the best way to distract myself was with a cooking project. I have wanted to make homemade gnocchi for a while. Perfect.


Thoughts: Homemade gnocchi would go great with the roasted chicken I was planning for dinner. Really it could have been a meal in and of itself. I tend to make extra dinners and then call them sides.  Do you do that?  We always end up with a ba-zillion leftovers.


I made the gnocchi. It became a massive fail at the boiling point. After boiling they came out more like a pile of mush than individual pockets of goodness.Should I have boiled them longer?


It was good though. The mush was surprisingly light.  I tossed them in some browned butter.  

And while not hard to make, it seemed way too time consuming for me when you can buy them frozen relatively inexpensively. 




Sweet Potato Gnocchi

by Emily Morris, Adapted from Food Network
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: entree vegetarian sweet potato Italian
Ingredients (serves 6)
For the Gnocchi:
  • 2 pounds sweet potatoes, about 3 sweet potatoes
  • 2/3 cup ricotta cheese
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus 1/3 cup for the work surface
Instructions
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Pierce the sweet potato with a fork. Bake the sweet potatoes until tender and fully cooked, between 40 to 55 minutes depending on size. Cool slightly. Cut in half and scoop the flesh into a large bowl. Mash the sweet potatoes and transfer to a large measuring cup to make sure the sweet potatoes measure about 2 cups.

Transfer the mashed sweet potatoes back to the large bowl. Add the ricotta cheese, salt, cinnamon, and pepper and blend until well mixed. Add the flour, 1/2 cup at a time until a soft dough forms.

Lightly flour a work surface and place the dough in a ball on the work surface. Divide the dough into 6 equal balls. Roll out each ball into a 1-inch wide rope. Cut each rope into 1-inch pieces. Roll the gnocchi over the tines of a fork. Transfer the formed gnocchi to a large baking sheet. Continue with the remaining gnocchi.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the gnocchi in 3 batches and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 5 to 6 minutes. Drain the gnocchi using a slotted spoon onto a baking sheet. Tent with foil to keep warm. Continue with the remaining gnocchi.
Powered by Recipage


6 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to try making sweet potato gnocchi. Yours looks oh so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It was a fun kitchen adventure.

      Delete
  2. So I have never made homemade gnocchi. I know, what the heck? I want to gobble this up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm gnocchi I love this :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool idea... healthier gnocchi means more gnocchi for me to eat. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...