Monday, October 24, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cake


As  part of the Tastemakers program from Foodbuzz I received a sample of Godiva's seasonal Pumpkin Spice Coffee.  It took about two weeks for me to finally open up the package and try a pre-baking sample.  This was a bad idea as the coffee itself was delicious.  I simply wanted to have some everyday and not use it for anything else. 


Then, I saw this pumpkin coffee cake in a magazine and knew it was meant to be. The recipe is somewhat complicated. I managed to fill the dishwasher just with this one cake. It was delicious and well worth the effort.  We were fighting over the last piece within 24 hours.


Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cake


Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Fall Baking 2011



Ingredients:
Pumpkin Spice Coffee  Cream Cheese Swirl
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons Godiva Pumpkin Spice coffee power
1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice



Pumpkin Coffee Cake
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2/3 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup heavy cream



Coffee Drizzle
1 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon Godiva Pumpkin Spice coffee
1-2 tablespoons brewed Godiva Pumpkin Spice coffee


Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×9 baking pan with parchment paper and spry with non-stick cooking spray.
  2. Prepare pumpkin latte cream cheese swirl. In a medium bowl beat cream cheese with an electric mixer for about 1 minute until fluffy. Add eggs, espresso powder, sugar, flour, vanilla extract, and pumpkin pie spice. Mix on low until smooth.
  3. Prepare Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cake. Whisk flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Set aside.
  4. In a small bowl stir heavy cream and pureed pumpkin until dissolved. Set aside.
  5. In the bowl of a stand mixer cream butter on medium speed until fluffy, about 1-2 minutes. Slowly drizzle in sugar and continue mixing. Add eggs one at a time and mix on low speed until incorporated.
  6. Alternate the addition of the remaining dry and wet ingredients into the butter mixture.
  7. Cover the bottom of the pan with a 2-3 inch thick layer of cake batter. Pour cream cheese mixture over the top and with a spoon swirl into the cake batter. Top with remaining cake batter and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Prepare drizzle while cake cools.
  8. In a small bowl whisk together confectioners sugar, instant espresso powder and 1 tablespoon brewed coffee. Use additional brewed coffee to thin drizzle if too thick.



    17 comments:

    1. Wow, that looks so rich and moist - perfect! And I have a bunch of pumpkin to use up, so I'll give this a try :)

      ReplyDelete
    2. Oh yum! This cake sounds so delicious and what a creative way to use your pumpkin spice coffee. Great work!

      ReplyDelete
    3. I will gladly have a few slices of this wonderful cake. The close up picture as well as the flavorful ingredients have won me over! Great post-yum!

      ReplyDelete
    4. I would love a large slice now! Yummy!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Oh my, Emily. This cake looks AWESOME! I love that coffee so I know this cake must be wonderful!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Now THAT is a coffee cake! Oh what I would give to be able to try that! The smell of coffee and pumpkin is amazing, or so I imagine. I really want to try this!

      ReplyDelete
    7. Delicious and congratulations on being selected to do a Tastemaker program! The cake looks incredible...

      ReplyDelete
    8. This looks like an amazing coffee cake! What a great tastemaker to be a part of, and I LOVE what you did with it!

      ReplyDelete
    9. Great recipe!! I love the idea of this pumpkin coffee cake.

      ReplyDelete
    10. I love coffee cake and pumpkin spice coffee cake sounds like my kind of treat! thanks for sharing!

      ReplyDelete
    11. Boehoe! I have 2 problems: I don’t have Godiva Pumpkin Spice coffee power and I don’t have any pumpkin pie Spice and I have no clue where to get them or substitute them either. *sign* all I can do now is to imagine how great this cake would taste.

      ReplyDelete
    12. This looks amazing! Wow, Godive Pumpkin Spice Coffee?! Where can I get some of that :)

      ReplyDelete
    13. This cake looks great - a great fall dessert.

      ReplyDelete
    14. Sounds perfect for Fall! Coffee cake is always a winner in my books :)

      ReplyDelete
    15. That looks very good! I looove coffee cake.

      ReplyDelete
    16. It's a match made in heaven. I bet it smelled as heavenly as the coffee does while brewing!

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

    You might also like reading:

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...