Saturday, October 15, 2011

Apples Keep the Doctor Away


I have been more busy in the last to months than I can remember. I feel like I have lost a bit of control over my life.  Being somewhat type A this is not a good feeling.  I have been traveling so much that my time in the kitchen was pretty non-existent.  I am sure you noticed the blog has been more about what I have been eating vs. what I have been cooking. Just recently I have been able to get a bit more settled.  As in I spent 3 nights in a row in my own bed.  It.was.lovely.

Being home also meant being able to cook, more specifically bake.  Baking is my thing much more so than cooking. With Mr. J's birthday I wanted to make something for him.  Much to my dismay he doesn't like cake and although I can win him over with cookies he really prefers pie.  To me fruit pies are just a waste of fresh fruit and calories for treats.  I will take an apple and a cookie any day over a piece of pie.  But it was HIS birthday so he WINS.



Best Apple Pie
From Cooking Down East

Ingredients:
Pastry for 2-crust pie

Gala Apples for a well-filled pie (about 10) 
3/4 C sugar
1/4 C brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp butter

Directions:
Line a pie plate with pastry, allowing 1/2 inch to overhang plate.  Prepare apples by washing, paring, and coring.  Slice thin and put in bowl.


Mix white sugar, brown sugar, salt, and spices.  Pour over apples and combine so all of the apple slices are covered with mixture.


Pack into pie shell.  Cut up butter into little pieces and top apples.


Lay top pastry over filling.  Bring edge lower pastry up over top edge and fold together.  Flute edge.  Brush with egg wash.  Bake at 425 degrees for about 50 minutes.

9 comments:

  1. Oh goodness, I love love love apple pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW this is one healty pie...10 apples? This would surely keep the doctor away =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love apple pie! Yours is lovely, and I know for sure I would eat at least 1/4 of that pie in one sitting warmed with ice cream ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For someone who isn't sweet on pie, you hit this one out of the park!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that looks like a blue ribbon apple pie. I have never made a homemade apple pie... so I'm pretty darn impressed right now!! Looks delicious. Hope Mr. J enjoyed it for his birthday.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband's birthday is coming up too, and he prefers pie to cake also. This looks like such a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i really like your food pictures and want to invite you to try out tastingspot.com. it's for anyone that just wants another place to submit photos and share it will other foodies. It’s still in beta version, but would love for you to start adding some photos and help get it going.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...