Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Danish


This weekend I was in the mood for some cooking and baking.  


The table sat most of the weekend covered in cookbooks.   I really love looking through cookbooks.  I could spend hours flipping the pages.  Then I get hungry and have to EAT!


If you have read this blog for a while you know that Mr. J and I fight over some foods.  A big one lately is Enneteman's.  I think they are gross and super bad for your health. Mr. J loves them.  A few weeks ago after I argued all of the reason for why we should not buy any even if they were on sale.  I convinced him I could make one just as good, all homemade.  This weekend I had to prove my arguement.  Although the recipe might look intimidating it really is simple.  There are two distinct parts and then the topping. 

Homemade Dansish

Part I:
1 stick margarine
1 C shifted flour
2 Tbsp water

1. Cut margarine into flour until it is fine. Add water and beat until this forms a ball and leaves the side of the bowl.  This is very similar to pie crust.


2.  Take this ball and divide it in two parts.  Use a cookie sheet and press this mixture onto the cookie sheeet, making two sections 3 inches by 12 inches.  Make these two sections three inches apart on the sheet.


Part II:

1 stick margarine
1 C water
1 tsp vanilla
1 C shifted flour
3 eggs

This part is like cream puffs.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1. Put the margarine in a the water in a saucepan.  Bring it to a full boil on high heat.  When margarine is completely melted and boiling add the vanilla.  Remove pan from heat.

2.  Add all of the flour and beat until the mixture forms a ball.


3.  Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.


4. Spread this mixture over the first mixture until completely covered and no edges are showing.


5. Bake at 350 degrees for an hour.

Once done baking remove from oven.  While still warm you can top with a favorite flavor of jam and vanilla icing (see below for recipe).


Vanilla Icing:

2 C confectioners' sugar
2 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla

Combine all ingredients together and mixture. Ice the danish while still warm.

Mr. J decided it was worth the wait.  Does this mean no more Enneteman's debates?

 

5 comments:

  1. Must say - I love Enntemanns but not even they could win against something homemade with as much love as this danish. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made one like this, I think from Pillsbury's cookbook. It was fabulous. I love the two textures together. Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy....and so much better homemade. You will have to keep him stocked up in danish though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! What a great recipe! Have never thought of making homemade danish. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so good! I am craving a danish now:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...