Saturday, April 30, 2011

Denial Mac N Cheese


Last weekend I felt like a grown up. Mr. J and I are homebodies to the extreme.  We don't go out much with other couples.  OK maybe we are just antisocial.  That being said this past weekend we had a dinner date at a local restaurant with friends of ours.  As I was getting ready to go out, I put on some pants that didn't fit.  I don't mean oh I just need to suck in a  bit more to fit.  The button was a good inch from the hole. There was no way it was going to happen.  Not a good way to start out a night on the town.

I changed pants and went on my way.  That night for dinner we went to a pub.  Not the healthiest options but I got a bison burger cause well it is leaner than ground beef. 

Now you would think I would be a bit disturbed by this experience.  Believe me I was, I got up the next morning and ran 5.5 miles.  I guess that took care of my anxiety because the next night I decided to make Macaroni and Cheese.

Macaroni and Cheese
Adapted from Ina Garten

Ingredients:
Kosher salt
Vegetable oil
1 pound small shells
1 quart milk
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, divided
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
12 ounces Gruyere, grated (4 cups)
8 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, grated (2 cups)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cups fresh white bread crumbs (5 slices, crusts removed)



Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Drizzle oil into a large pot of boiling salted water. Add the macaroni and cook according to the directions on the package, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain well.
Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan, but don't boil it. Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in a large (4-quart) pot and add the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. While whisking, add the hot milk and cook for a minute or two more, until thickened and smooth. Off the heat, add the Gruyere, Cheddar, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and nutmeg.




Add the cooked macaroni and stir well. Pour into a 3-quart baking dish.
Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, combine them with the fresh bread crumbs, and sprinkle on the top. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the macaroni is browned on the top.

I think I might have to go for another run!


2 comments:

  1. Mmmm... that mac n cheese looks beautiful! Bison burgers are so good - every now and then we go to Ted's Montana Grill and I get the bison meatloaf or a burger... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I love it! I just told the cashier at Whole Foods that I work out so much because I REALLY REALLY REALLY like to eat! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...