Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Fuel

Having lived in many different places in my life, and having been near many big cities I am a bit picky about eating out when I want a good meal.  My parents live in a very small town just north of Maine's twin cities, Lewiston-Auburn area.  Their town has about 4 restaurants, if you can call them that.  It is not what I call fine dining.  Lewiston-Auburn has more variety but for the most part you need to go to Portland, Maine for real delicious cuisine.
That was the case till 5 years ago, when Fuel came to town.  I love this place!

"We specialize in country French cuisine, like steak frites, boeuf bourguignon, braised beef short ribs, and other traditional dishes." - Fuel Website

The meal starts out with fresh French loaf slices and real butter.  The appetizers are my favorite choice at Fuel.  There are so many delicious options, including cheese fondue.  This night we opted out of the fondue and everyone at the table ordered something different. 

I got the cream of broccoli soup with lobster.  Yum!  For a cream soup, this was light and refreshing. Of course the lump of lobster in the middle really ups the wow factor of this soup.


Mr. J got frog's legs, braised and served with house made gnocchi and parsley-lemon butter sauce.  The sauce was so good.  I made the mistake of showing my mom, the frog leg.  I have a tendency to hold it up and bounce the leg up and down.  It really leaves little to the imagination as to what you are eating.  She did end up trying some in the end.

As for the main course, the whole table ordered the same thing excpet for my dad.  We are a family who loves steak.  The Steak Au Poivre at Fuel is one of the best I have ever had.  It is a pepper-crusted 12 oz. NY Strip with cream, Cognac and veal reduction served with arugula salad and rosemary roasted red potatoes.  We switched out the red potatoes for fries to make it a classic steak frites meal.  The fries here are too good not to have. 

My dad ordered Beef Short Rib Stroganoff, a house made pappardelle pasta tossed in a cream sauce with mushrooms and Dijon mustard. Topped with a fork tender Braised beef short rib from a local farm.  I have had this before and it is absolutely delicious too.  The homemade pappardelle noodles soak up all of the wonderful juices.  Yum!

Fuel also has a bar and it can get quite lively on a Friday night.  Fuel revolutionized the dinning scene in Lewiston, Maine.  And I am so glad it did. You can make reservations at OpenTable.com

7 comments:

  1. Fuel sounds great! The beef dish looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that all sounds so good!! But, I would have ordered the stroganoff with your Dad...one of my favorite meals! ;)

    P.S. Looks like Kari talked me into the race on Sunday...see you there!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great name! Everything looks so delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd have country French over this alleged cuisine at the higher end "Molecular Gastronomy" or some such. All of these dishes look good.

    Great to have somewhere nice to eat close to home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While all of the dishes look good, I find the steak plate awesome! Glad you enjoyed your visit to Fuel! Well worth the trip-Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great place! I am a huge steak fan as well, but what your Dad ordered sounds amazing! I would have a hard time though - because those fries look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! I love when you try a place and it turns out to be terrific!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...