Monday, August 8, 2011

A Race For Lobsters

This post could have been titled many things.

The good and bad of Whole Foods

What not to do before a race...

Basically Saturday started with a a trip to Whole Foods.  I love pretty grocery stores, whole foods is one of those stores.  You know, the ones with a large selection of fresh produce neatly arranged.  The shelves neatly organized.  I could walk around the store for hours. 

I didn't have hours though.  I had Mr. J with me.  His job was to pick out dinner from the fish selection.  I told him I didn't care what he got.  Clearly this was a mistake as we ended up with this whole red snapper.  2.5LBs of red snapper. $20 worth of red snapper. And it was on sale!

For a meat and potatoes kind of guy he sure loves his fish.  We have never spent $20 on steaks.  I am not sure if we have ever spent $20 on any one meal.

Since he picked out dinner, it was his job to prepare and cook dinner.  Our red snapper was stuffed with red onion slices, fresh parsley, lemon, garlic, and salt and pepper.


Randomly, he also wanted to roast some poblano peppers.  They were delicious but didn't quite jive with the rest of the meal. 


The poor, not so little fish has certainly seen better days. 


A couple glasses of wine, grilled corn on the cob, and the fish was quite a dinner.  It was all so delicious.  So delicious that I could no longer make fun of Mr. J anymore for picking out $20 of fish.

The bad news was it was about 8pm, well after dinner was finished that I realized I had a race early Sunday morning.  Its not that I forgot, it just kind of slipped my mind in all the dinner excitement. 

I signed up for this race purely for this t-shirt.  Lobsters have my heart.  It was called the Sea Leg Shuffle.  You cannot get much cuter than that.


But as you know from my useless day on Sunday, I woke up with a headache and a stomach.  I have a sensitive stomach and I have these days more than the common person.  The wine and fish didn't help though. 

The weather certainly didn't help either.  Picture standing under a heavy waterfall.  That was the race start.  We had downpours.  We were drenched and our clothes were heavy with water.  I think I was carrying about ten extra pounds of water as I ran the 5K. It was hard and my pants were slapping against my legs. I walked some and couldn't see through my sprinkled glasses.  But I finished.  I finished in 34 minutes.  Then, I did nothing for the rest of the day. 

8 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you felt the day of the race. having a huge meal the night before a big game, never did me any justice. But the rain to top it off..i could only imagine! congratulations on finishing the race :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snapper is one of my all time favorite fish! I've always been too intimidated to cook a whole fish - but yours looks fantastic! I love how you stuffed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a fish! I don't know if I could ever eat a fish that still had the head! LOL! Great recipe though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fish and the poblanos both look great, but yeah, I can see how it might slow you down a bit for a race the next day, if you weren't feeling great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just like chicken fish cooked with bones in is always more flavorful. I love snapper and I am sure this was delicious if not a great idea before a race

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry that you felt so lousy for the race....but the fish looked delicious! Look at you grilling like a PRO!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing like fresh grilled snapper-you did a great job and I would have eaten a big piece (race or not)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on finishing the race, especially given all the factors. I want that shirt - too bad I live no where near, so the race won't happen!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...