Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Packing up and Heading out: Mac N Cheese

I am so excited about going up to Maine for Thanksgiving today. There is so much to be done though before we actually get to leave. I want to work out before we hit the road; I hate the idea of sitting in a car for 5 hours and not moving all day long. I need to pack, somehow that got away from me last night. I still have quite a bit of work, work that needs to get done before next week as I will be traveling for the first 1/2 of the week. Yikes! I am a bit nervous about the day ahead. I am thinking this might be a two cup coffee day - maybe even a latte out.


This weekend we made the ultimate comfort food. I found I can make this on Sunday and the come Monday Jordan just has to top with bread crumbs and plop it in the oven. A great dinner to come home to on Monday night.

Mac & Cheese
Adapted from Ina Garten
Barefoot Cantessa Family style

Ingredients
kosher salt
vegetable oil
1 lb whole wheat elbow macaroni
1 qt milk
1/2 stick butter (8 Tbsp)
1/2 c flour
12 oz cheddar cheese
1 cup cottage cheese
1 package frozen butternut squash
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 1/2 cup bread crumbs

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees ( if you are making ahead like I did skip this step)
  2. Drizzle oil into large pot of boiling slated water. Add the macaroni and cook according to box. Drain well.
  3. Heat milk in small sauce pan, but be careful not to boil. In another pan, melt 6 Tbsp of butter and add flour. Whisk constantly for two minutes. Begin adding hot milk and cook until thickened and smooth. Keep whisking.
4. Remove from heat and add both cheeses. Add remaining spices and squash to cheese mixture. Stir in pasta till well combined.



5. Transfer to baking dish. (Let cool and then cover in refrigerator until ready to bake or....)

6. Combine bread crumbs with remaining butter.


7. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the sauce begins to bubble around the edge.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...