Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Cashew Chicken

I have a few confessions:

1.  Yesterday in the course of 8 hours I consumed 8 cookies.
2.  Instead of packing for my trip, I watched 2 episodes of Big Love.
3.  Now I feel really lazy and my stomach hurts.

Today I must go back to my daily fruit allowance.  Who has room for fruit when you eat 8 cookies? 

Now on to something more exciting.  I love spicy food. Normally the spiciest food we can find is ethnic.  Normally this means we have to go out to eat.  Normally this gets very expensive after a few weeks.  Thus, I am trying to experiment and find good, EASY recipes to make at home.  Noodles and rice, etc.  - that is what I try to find.  Sometimes this is  hard due to all of the extra sauces the recipes state; I hate having to go buy one ingredient for a specific recipe.

I have another confessions: I currently follow TOO many blogs.  I always said I wasn't obsessed with reading blogs.  I dabbled here and there; I was not consistently reading everyday.  I don't know what happened but every day I have a list to go through.  Sometimes this list assists me to finding other blogs.  My addiction is growing.  It led to this...


Cashew Chicken
Very slightly adapted from How Sweet It Is

Ingredients:
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup mushrooms
1 cup mixed peppers, sliced thin
3 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup shelled edamame
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup unsalted cashews, somewhat crushed
3 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons sodium soy sauce


Heat a skillet on medium heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add mushrooms and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet. Season chicken with salt and pepper, then sprinkle cornstarch on chicken pieces and make sure each piece is somewhat coated.  Add the remaining olive oil to the skillet and add chicken. Brown on both sides until cooked, about 5 minutes per side. Add garlic, red pepper, edamame, half of the green onions and cashews and stir for 30 seconds. Turn heat to medium low.


In a small bowl, mix soy sauce and honey. Pour into skillet, coating chicken and vegetables






I will say that this is super super super good.  It took a bit longer than I expected but it was well worth it.  We had it with some fried rice which I will post soon but I think next time I would just have plain rice.  I think the fried rice messed with the flavors of the cashew chicken.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...