Thursday, February 3, 2011

Toasted

I love oatmeal as a winter breakfast.  My true love is smoothies but lately it has been awfully hard to have something cool in the morning.  Oatmeal warms me from the inside out and keeps me full all morning. 

Mistakenly the other day I bought steel cut oats.  Now, I know these are suppose to taste way better than regular quick oats, but in the morning being able to pop my bowl in the microwave for 2 minutes and be done is a good thing.  These so called delicious steel cut outs take upwards of 30 minutes to cook.  I just don't have time for that come 7am. 

I hate wasting though, and now I am stuck with this box of oatmeal.  Solution: Make a batch on Sunday and then have 4 servings of breakfast premade for the week.  I got this idea from Adam at The Amateur gourmet.


 I melted 2 TBSP of butter to 1 Cup of oats. 


Cook for about 5-7 minutes on medium high.  Stirring often.  They will start to turn a deep gold/brown.  Use your nose. If it starts to smell nut they are starting to burn.  Time to add water - 4 cups.


Bring water to a boil.  You can turn down the temperature to medium or medium low to simmer for 30 minutes.


Stir occasionally.  The more you stir the more starch will be released and the consistency of the oats change a bit. 


All thick and ready to eat!

My toppings this week have included:
Nutella
Coconut butter
Coconut
Almond butter
Bananas
Chia seeds
Buttersctoch chips
Pumpkin butter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...