Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Veggie Fried Rice


What are you up to today?  I had a wake up call at 3am to catch a plane to Indiana.  Sounds like fun huh?  I then have a 2 hour drive to Illinois.  If it weren't for the 3am wake up I might be more excited to see the Midwest.  If it weren't for the 2 plus feet of snow on the ground I could almost see this as an enjoyable trip.  But those are ifs, and let's face it it is winter and I have to get up at 3 am.  Or at the point of when this will post I would have been up 3 hours and in the air.  OK, I am done pouting.

To go along with the cashew chicken the other day we made fried rice.  Jordan really likes fried rice and has been known to order it as a meal when we get official Chinese food.  Fried rice is amazingly really simple to make and has a million variations.  You can constantly change it up for something new. 

Veggie Fried Rice

Ingredients:
Brown rice (cooked according to package for 2 servings)
1 carrot, diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cup bok choy, chopped (can use Napa cabbage as well)
3 Tbsp soy sauce
1 egg

1. Saute onions and carrots till just softening.  They will continue to cook throughout the process.



2. Add bok choy and garlic.  Cook till bok choy is wilted.


3. Add rice and combine with veggies.  Add soy sauce and stir till mixed through.


4. Make well in middle of pan.


5. Crack egg in middle of  well and let sit till the whites turn white.  Break yoke and wait a bit long till it starts to cook, then stir till egg is mixed in and there are no shiny egg parts in mixture.


To make as a whole meal add chicken, pork, or tofu at the end that has already been cooked and seasoned.  Using two servings of rice makes 4 side servings or 2 big servings.  It is delicious!

Wish me luck that my flight makes it!

1 comment:

  1. It really looks delicious. I love rice and I experiment a lot with this ingredient. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...