Thursday, October 7, 2010

I need some help: Curried Rice with Shrimp


Today was a very long day. I got up at 5:45am, was out the door by 6:10am and made a quick jaunt to Albany, NY and back. I am home again though and will be in my own bed tonight. Because of my craziness Jordan whipped up this delicious dinner from Real Simple online recipe repertoire.

Curried Rice with Shrimp
Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 cup long-grain white rice
Kosher salt and black pepper
1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined large shrimp
1/2 cup fresh basil



Directions
1.Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 6 to 8 minutes.

2.Add the garlic and curry and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 2 minutes.

3.Add the rice, 2 ½ cups water, and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.

4.Season the shrimp with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper and nestle them in the partially cooked rice. Cover and cook until the shrimp are opaque throughout, 4 to 5 minutes. Fold in the basil.

I think next time we might add something green. And the one thing I hate about curry is that we will smell it in the apartment for the next few days. I think it might be time to light a candle.

This week has been odd because the more I am home the more I notice I want to get done around the apartment. Mainly I think we need some wall decorations. I wish I could go out and get lots of paint to brighten things up. I don't think the landlord would like to to much but I am feeling crafty. This weekend is out but hopefully soon I will take a trip to the store and buy some materials. Any ideas for low cost, lovely art work which will take up our ample wall space?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...