Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Visitor: Cardamom crumb cake


Today we are having our first visitor to stay overnight. I am probably a bit more excited for this then most people. We went out for dinner so I have no post for a meal but I do have something special to share. This is probably the most unhealthy coffee cake recipes I have ever made. I really like crumb cake. At Bryn Mawr weekend brunches always included a crumb coffee cake. They cut the pieces so small I would always have two if not three. It was something I looked forward to every weekend. My mom also makes a killer coffee cake for Christmas morning. I am such a sucker for coffee cake. I also love cardamom. It was a no brainer that I was going to try this out right when I first laid eyes on the recipe.

When I decided today was the day I just glanced at the ingredient list making sure I had them all in the kitchen. I never looked at the quantities. Let's just say I advise you not to think about what goes into the cake and just enjoy the taste.

Cardamom Crumb Cake
From everyday FOOD magazine, September issue 2010

Ingredients:
nonstick cooking spray
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 Cup butter
2/3 Cup milk
2 large eggs
1/3 Cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp cardamom

1. Preheat over to 350 degrees. Coat a 9 inch square baking dish with cooking spray.

2. In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. With a fork, or dough cutter cut in butter until crumbs form. Set aside 1 Cup for crumb topping.

3. Whisk together milk, eggs, sour cream, vanilla, and cardamom. Mix into majority of crumb mixture and combine.

4. Pour into greased pan and top with set aside cup of remaining crumb mixture.

5. Bake for 45 minutes until the knife comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 30 minutes.

The original recipes calls to serve it with fresh berries. I don't have berries. The cardamom taste is very subtle. Overall the cake is moist and buttery. Because of the nutrition value though I think this is more of a special occasion cake. I actually cut the sugar down to only 1 1/2 cups but it is still a lot. Hopefully our guest will enjoy it for breakfast tomorrow morning. I had a picture of the finished product but I am too lazy to upload it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...