Thursday, November 17, 2011

Cranberry Chutney


I am not a huge fan of cranberries but there is one thing that I absolutely love...the cranberry relish that my mom makes for Thanksgiving.  This recipe was passed down from my dad's mom.  My grandmother was a good Midwesterner that like all things with jello.  It was one of those things that my mom inherited when she became a member of the family. Getting the recipe meant that she was required to learn how to make it as well.  Are you intrigued? 

Sorry I don't have the recipe for you today. Maybe I can get my mom to do a guest post.  Its a great cranberry relish but it does take a few somewhat complicated steps, mainly the use of a meat grinder.  But since I don't have such a device in my little apartment, I bring you a substitute.



This hot cranberry chutney only takes about twenty minutes to throw together.  It is the perfect topping for any poultry dish as well as just a side. I even have a bowl for breakfast on occasion. 


Take a bag of fresh cranberries, one apple, cored and chopped with skin and put in a 1 qt sauce pan.  Add 1/2 cup of OJ or apple cider.  Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes.  Add additional water if all the liquid evaporates before all of the cranberries pop.  Season with 1 tsp cinnamon and sweetened with sugar if desired.



And before I leave you today I want to let you in on a little secret. I am planning on a little giveaway for Christmas. I am hoping this will coincide with me having 100 Google Readers.  Follow away and it will be worth it. Trust me.

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful chutney! Perfect match for the holiday turkey...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely a huge step up from the stuff in the can! I love that it's got cranberry chunks in it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cranberry sauce and this chutney looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I'd say your cranberry chutney looks pretty darn tasty! I love the homemade stuff and if you can get your mother to guest post that would be SO cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to try this out sometime. Very versatile. Perfect for any meat product...Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, I am not a huge fan of cranberries either, but I always eat them on Thanksgiving! This chutney sounds so delicious - I definitely want to try this out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...