Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Pumpkin Pie

For someone who does not like pumpkin pie I must say this is one outstanding recipe. I first made this as the dessert featured at a buffet Thanksgiving meal at the fancy restaurant at Bryn Mawr College. Then, I brought the recipe home and everyone raved about it.  I will take chocolate every day over pumpkin pie but with this recipe I will be having my yearly little sliver just to make sure it is still good.  Here is my last Thanksgiving day recipe.  



Pumpkin pie
From Baking Illustrated

Ingredients
2 cups pumpkin puree
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup cream
2/3 cup milk
4 eggs

1 premade pie crust

 Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Mix the pumpkin, sugar, spices, and salt until well combined. Transfer mixture to saucepan and bring it to a simmer over medium high heat. Cook about 5 minutes stirring constantly until thick and shiny.



3. Whisk in cream and milk into pumpkin mixture. Bring to a slow simmer. Remove from heat. In a separate bowl whisk eggs until well mixed. Put a small portion of the pumpkin mixture into the eggs and stir. Pour the egg mixture into the pumpkin mixture and whisk thoroughly until well combined.

4. Pour warm filling into pie crust. Bake until the pie filling is puffed and dry-looking. The center will wiggle like gelatin. Time will be able 25 minutes.



5. Top with whip cream.

7 comments:

  1. You amaze me - I never had pumpkin before moving here, and it took me a while to warm up to it, but pumpkin pie? How can you not like it? ;) (Says she who doesn't like peanut butter or marshmallows...)
    Looks like a wonderful recipe, your pie looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pumpkin pie is my favorite and yours does look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam grew up in Europe and Pumpkin pie was unknown to him. His first taste didn't elicit raves, but he's a convert now! It's always good to find another pie recipe and yours looks yummy. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a great recipe and the pie is BEAUTIFUL! I always end up over baking and cracking the pies! Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely pie! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Personally I am a huge Pumpkin fan and your Pumpkin Pie looks fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always in the mood for a slice of any pie - and with "fabulous" in the title, I know I've got to try this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...