Thursday, November 3, 2011

Pumpkin Waffles


Some things are worth a little extra effort. These waffles took a bit more than I would typically put out for waffles.  It used lots of bowls and I even had to beat egg whites. How dare a recipe ask such things of me?  Well, the yummy pumpkin goodness and warm spice mix make the extra effort well worth it.  We had this for dinner and I thought I had gone to heaven at 7pm on Tuesday night. 


The best part is that the recipe made two gigantic waffles from our machine.  Mr. J and I split one for dinner along with some eggs and bacon of course.  The second will be my breakfast in about 30 minutes topped with almond butter, bananas, and chia seeds.  I cannot wait.  These will be made again.  Soon.  I am thinking some ice cream would be a perfect topping.  Cinnamon perhaps?

Pumpkin Waffles
Ingredients:
1/4 cup light brown sugar
3 Tbsp cornstarch
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and warm

Directions:
1. Lightly oil the waffle iron with vegetable oil, and set it to the desired temperature.

2. Combine brown sugar and cornstarch in a large bowl. Whisk together to break apart the cornstarch. Add the remaining dry ingredients, and whisk to blend.

3. Separate eggs: yolks go in a medium sized bowl and whites get set aside in a smaller bowl.

4. Add pumpkin and milk to the egg yolks. Whisk to blend and set aside.

5. Whip egg whites with a hand mixer on high until stiff peaks form – about 1 1/2 – 2 minutes. Set aside.

6. Pour melted butter into the pumpkin mixture. As you pour, whisk to combine.

7. Add the pumpkin mixture to the dry ingredients, and mix them together until just combined. A little lumpiness is fine. That will smooth out when the egg whites are added.

8. Slide the whipped egg whites out of the bowl and onto the mixture you just prepared. Gently fold them in until no white bits are obvious.

9. Once the waffle iron is heated, you’re ready to pour the batter and wait for the beep.

18 comments:

  1. That does look like a delicious way to start your day. Love the idea of pumpkin in waffles. It has been awhile since I have made waffles, but this does inspire me to pull out that old waffle iron. Thanks for sharing this creative and tasty recipe-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, never had pumpkin in my waffles, but it's been ages since I've had homemade waffles anyways. I really need to do that some time! These looks absolutely delicious!
    I like mine sweet with fruit though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waffles fantastic - but with pumpkin and spice and all these things nice, this is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look fantastic, and I would definitely say worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, just when I think I've seen every pumpkin recipe, you bring me pumpkin waffles! YUM!! Looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now who wouldn't want to wake up to this? Actually I would eat it for lunch and dinner too. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't even know one could make pumpkin waffles. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These waffles look wonderful - you've assembled some very fragrant seasonings - fall delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A hot waffle with some ice cream sounds like a dream!! I think I can even have this for breakfast =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is delicious! I LOVE breakfast for dinner and waffles always seem so special! Nice that you had another one leftover for breakfast!

    ...all the makings for a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have I mentioned how much I absolutely love breakfast for dinner lately? :) These look fantastic...and I agree, definitely worth the extra effort!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahahaha! I want to be in heaven at 7pm too! I'm envious you had this for dinner. I've never done "breakfast for diner" with my kids yet - kind of afraid they will think that's going to happen everyday... but it's very tempting to surprise them one day. :-) I guess extra work was totally worth it. I want to eat pumpkin waffles so bad! Your waffles look so delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have not try adding pumpkin into waffle batter before and yours sure look great and yummy! Will bookmarked this and try it out soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds like the perfect fall breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I could easily eat a few gazillion of these. I am a pumpkin addict!. So, so, soooooo printing this out. Also, major buzz love here.

    That egg white thing? I'm impressed! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pumpkin waffles, that must be yummy. And very healthy too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...