Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Sweet Potato Goodness

Don’t get me wrong, I love all of the traditional Thanksgiving sides. Well, not the Green Bean Casserole, that just freaks me out in so many ways. But all the rest of them…cranberry salad, stuffing, sweet potatoes, yep I love them. I probably love the side dishes way more the main showcase of the Turkey. Thanksgiving just would not be the same with all of those yummy dishes. However, with all of the hustle and bustle of the big day, sometimes it is nice to have a somewhat simpler variation on those old time favorites.


The other night for dinner I wanted to have a mini Thanksgiving just for Mr. J and I. I used this opportunity to make many of the dishes that appear on my mom’s marvelous Thanksgiving table without spending the whole day in the kitchen. First off is my all-time favorite Sweet Potato Casserole.


I thought I had more sweet potatoes than I actually did...funny how that always happens.  No real big problem, I had plenty of squash and substituted in one for the remaining amount of sweet potoato.

I roasted one butternut squash and one cut up sweet potato in the oven for 40 minutes at 375 degrees.  Once cooled, remove peel by scraping out all of the flesh with a spoon into a bowl.  You should have about 2 cups of sweet potato/squash.  I then added about 1/4 orange juice, 1 tsp cinnamon and 2 Tbsp of maple syrup. You can also use brown sugar.  I don't like mine too sweet and once the marshmallows are added there is plenty of extra sugar.


Spread out into a shallow baking dish. Cut large marshmallows in 1/2 and place on top of squash mixture.  Bake on the middle rack until marshmallows start to turn brown, about 15 minutes.


I have been known to have this as leftover breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

9 comments:

  1. Looks lovely, though I hate marshmallows and so never have understood this pairing, haha. But I often swap in squash for sweet potatoes to lower the calories without missing the taste. Great recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great, Emily! I'm particularly impressed with the beautiful color gradients and texture of the top. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made me crack up re the green bean casserole story. Haha! This dish looks wonderful. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! I'm the same way with green bean casserole...

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I do love turkey, I agree with you. I'm all about the sides (especially stuffing!). This casserole looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks wonderful! When I have sweet potatoes like this I never can decide if it counts as a side dish or dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm this sounds so yummy! I saw something recently with sweet potatoes and marshmallow and never heard of it before! So now I will definitely have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK Emily, you got me with this recipe, I love how you combined the sweet potato with the squash, it looks amazing! We have now decided to make TWO types of sweet potatoes to Thanksgiving, the sweet potato hash AND your recipe with marshmallows!

    ReplyDelete

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...