Monday, March 25, 2013

Caramelized Onion Jam {SRC}

Secret Recipe Club





It is the end of the month and that means it is time for the Secret Recipe Club post. For March I was assigned JJ of 84th & 3rd.

She lives in Australia and loves brunch and chocolate.   I was so lost in her recipes because she does a lot of gluten-free and dairy-free dishes. With my interest in the Paleo diet I got quite a few ideas. 
 


After a little searching I saw her caramelized onion jam. I couldn't get it out of my mind. She paired it with cheese and pears. Yum!  The onion jam was so easy to make with common ingredients, yet you could add it to so many dishes and entrees to really take things up a notch. 


You can see below what we used ours for last weekend but I know that we will be making another batch soon.





Caramelized Onion Jam

by 84th & 3rd
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: saute
Ingredients (serves 4)
  • 2 onions, thinly sliced
  • 1 tsp dry thyme
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • pinch sea salt
  • 1/4 c water
  • 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
Instructions
In a non-stick skillet over medium heat saute onions, thyme and salt in the olive oil for 5 minutes. Add the water and saute a further 5 minutes – stirring regularly. Turn down and cook a further 10 minutes on medium-low until onions are sweet and almost melting in the pan.

Remove from heat, stir through vinegar. Sprinkle with a bit of extra thyme. Serve with cheese, bread and pears.
Powered by Recipage


I used the caramelized onions to top a sweet potato with bleu cheese. It was so delicious. The onions melted into the cheese and gave a sharp bite with the sweetness of the sweet potato.


My husband used it with a chicken salad salad sandwich. He called it a master piece.


13 comments:

  1. Oh I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe and what a great idea to use it for sweet potatoes with blue cheese!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is something I haven't heard of--but i do like the idea. caramelized onions are delicious and would be good on so many things. Great SRC pick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of this before...sounds different, but very good! Have a great day, and surprise...I had your blog this month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Monday! I nominated you for a Leibster Blog Award! Check out my post below for details and instructions...I look forward to reading your responses!

    https://kableeskitchen.wordpress.com/2013/03/25/liebster-award/

    - Ka Ning

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a girl who loves onions, this looks right up my alley! I would love to spread this on my sandwiches! Thank you for sharing the recipe and your lovely photographs/words. I hope you are having a good Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We eat onions like they are going out of style. I could think of a million things to use this with! Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous new condiment! It would be lovely paired with so many dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is new to me....sounds like a great condiment! Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds delicious! second only to bacon jam, but considerably healthier and more versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic looking jam my friend :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks amazing! Great SRC pick, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. That jam would rock on anything! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...