Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Slow Cooker Black Beans and WIAW

Some times I try to do too much in the morning. Yesterday I was all about going to the gym, making dinner, and getting ready for work in less than 2 hours.  I was out of bed 15 minutes after the alarm, but those 15 minutes made all of the difference.

I didn't make it to the gym, instead I did a yoga DVD.  I also enlisted the help of Mr. J to do some chopping for our slow cooker dinner. We got everything done and I still made it to the office before 8am. I just stressed myself out in the process.  And I smelled like bacon.


This is the picture from last week but breakfast was the same Green Monster smoothie minus the granola. I was dreaming of waffles or pancakes.  I got greens instead.




Lunch was leftover black beans from the slow cooker. I made a big pot full on Sunday.  We had it as a side with dinner. Today it was served like a soup.  We still have about 5 cups left. I am thinking burritos or enchiladas are in our near future.  Probably both.




Slow Cooker Black Beans

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 6-8 hours
Keywords: slow-cooker side entree vegetarian black beans
Ingredients (serves 8)
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 Tbsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • 1 lb dried black beans, soaked
  • 1 dried chile
  • 1 14oz can diced tomatoes
  • 2 tsp table salt
  • 8 cups water
  • 1 Tbsp lime juice
Instructions
Put all of the bean ragout ingredients except lime or vinegar in a 6-quart slow cooker.

Cover and cook on high until beans are very tender 6-8 hours on low.

Once the beans are cooked, stir in the lime juice or vinegar.

Adjust seasonings to taste. Sprinkle with cilantro and chopped onions, if desired.
Powered by Recipage

All of the morning stress was worth this wonderful slow cooker dinner.  The apartment smelled amazing when we walked in at night.  One of the best Beef Bourguignon I ever ate. And it was so easy. I will post the recipe next week. It was suppose to be Paleo.  We added bread. Ops!


After such a good dinner we decided dessert was a must.  Off we went for a frozen yogurt.  



Second time in a row Mr. J's cup weighed more than mine. It is always a competition.  
 

5 comments:

  1. These look wonderful, Emily. Comforting and hearty. Hopefully you'll get to snooze a bit more tomorrow morning. Snooze is the greatest invention ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always try to cram too much into an evening: Oh, I'll make dinner, and let's give the babies a bath, and I want to take a shower before they go to bed, and we should read to them and play on the floor, but let's also change the sheets on our bed. Seriously?! Why do we do such things? Your black beans look great - slow cookers are lifesavers, in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the recipe. I have been wanting to try making my own black beans for awhile now. This slow-cooker recipe sounds perfect :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. 15 minutes definitely make a huge difference in the morning for me too. I adore black beans and can totally make a meal out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm fro yo is always a good dessert choice! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...