Monday, April 16, 2012

Chocolate Bundt Cake with Chocolate Sour Cream Glaze


The cake wantings from last weekend didn't go away.  I knew as Friday neared that the special treat for this weekend was going to be cake. And what better cake than a chocolate bundt cake and chocolate glaze to fill this need.


Baking brings me peace and calm.  The recipe below has instructions for a stand mixer but I did it the old fashion way. 

Whisk in hand.

My arms grew sore.


This cake was an act of love.  I had to go out on a special mission just get the pan.  A true bundt.  But the cake didn't love me back quite as much.

The mixing went well.  

The baking went well.

But then the cooling came and the cake didn't want to leave its cozy home in the pan.  Thus, as I flipped it out to cool on the rack 1/3 decided it wasn't going to budge.  That's OK though.  Hot cake is easily glued back together.  The heat makes it stick I swear.


But then there was the glaze.  Granted I probably was a bit impatient in the cooling aspect of the glaze and dumped it on the cake a bit too soon.  Mr. J was eagerly standing over me as well.  We wanted some cake...even the man who doesn't like cake.  Soon we had a pool of glaze in the middle of the bundt.


As Mr. J described we had a natural disaster in the kitchen, a mini cake volcano with erupting chocolate glaze.  Not the most photogenic plate but the taste was still there.  It was delicious.  Deep rich chocolate taste that was incredibly moist.  The next morning the glaze finally stiffened up and was much more spreadable.  Milk glass in hand I go in for round two.




Chocolate Bundt Cake with chocolate sour cream glaze
by Joy the Baker
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Keywords: bake dessert chocolate coffee cake
Ingredients (serves 16)
    For the Cake:
    • 1 1/4 cups brewed coffee
    • 1 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
    • 2 cups sugar
    • 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
    • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    • 3 whole eggs
    • 1 1/4 cups sour cream
    • 1 cup plus 2 Tablespoon canola oil
    • 2 1/2 cups, plus 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour, sifted
    For the Glaze:
    • 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
    • 3/4 cup unsalted butter
    • 4 Tablespoons brewed coffee
    • 1/3 cup sour cream
    • 1/2 cup sour cream, at room temperature
    • 1/4 cup brewed coffee, cooled
    Instructions
    Place an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.

    To make the cake:

    Grease and flour a 10-inch Bundt pan and set aside.

    To make the cake batter: Put brewed coffee and cocoa powder in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, whisking frequently. Remove from the heat and let come to room temperature.

    In the bowl of a stand mixer fit with a whisk attachment, mix together sugar, salt, baking soda, eggs and egg yolk on low speed for about 1 minute. Add the sour cream and oil and mix on low again for another minute.

    Add the flour and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add the cooled cocoa mixture and mix on medium speed for 3 minutes. The batter will be very loose. Pour into the prepared cake pan and bake for 1 hour, or until a cake tester inserted in the cake comes out clean.

    Let the cake cool completely in the pan and then invert onto a cooling rack.  

    To make the icing:

    Chop the chocolate into small pieces, put them in a heatproof bowl (or a double boiler), and set the bowl over a pot of barely simmering water. Be sure that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the boiling water. Remove the bowl from the heat when all of the chocolate bits have melted.

    Melt the butter in a separate pan or in the microwave. Whisk the melted butter into the melted chocolate until thoroughly incorporated. Add the sour cream and whisk to combine. The glaze should be thick and shiny. Lastly, add the coffee and whisk to create a glossy glaze.

    Pour the glaze over the Bundt cake, covering it completely. Leave at room temperature until ready to serve.
    Powered by Recipage

    15 comments:

    1. I am thinking of the time my chocolate bundt did the same thing! Disappointing because we all want the lovely appearance of a bundt. However, I am glad you realized that it really is the taste that matters and by the looks of that slice-this was a winner. Moist and chocolatey taste has a way of making you get past the cake not releasing from the pan properly-yum!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Regardless of how something looks it is hard not to smile when you have a treat that tastes so good.

        Delete
    2. This looks great and I especially love the ingredients for the sour cream glaze!

      ReplyDelete
    3. This looks decadent and yummy!! I am handing out awards to Everyone and you really deserve one! :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I mean check out my blog post today... you really deserve one. :)

        Delete
    4. That have happened to me on one to many occasions but I was always really surprised on how quick those volcano cakes vanish-- as once somebody said to me "I am going to chew on it so don't worry its a mess". Although now when I am doing a cake in a form I use a trick called breadcrumbs that you can get in any Polish/Eastern European shop or you can do it yourself (the fluffy ones you get normally at shops don't work it have to be almost sandy texture). You grease it, you bread crumb it and it almost flies out of the form. Hope it helps you, wishing you all the best and sending hugs!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I will have to check out some of those bread crumbs; they sounds like a great fix.

        Delete
    5. Haha, I hate when my cakes or muffins do that. Little punks. But, it still looks delish and I think I could eat the glaze with a spoon!

      ReplyDelete
    6. The glaze is often the enemy - I totally understand ;)
      But it really does not matter becase this cake looks seriously scrumptious - crumby, moist and deeply chocolatey!

      Cheers
      Choc Chip Uru

      ReplyDelete
    7. This sounds fantastic! I've baked before, but I just started getting more serious about it. I will have to try this out!

      ReplyDelete
    8. This comment has been removed by the author.

      ReplyDelete
    9. Oh, I can relate to stubborn cakes refusing to come out of their pans. We take our revenge by eating those miscreants right out of the pans with large spoons. That'll teach them! :)

      ReplyDelete
    10. YUM! Man I love cake....and I would totally just eat it out of the pab with a spoon :)

      ReplyDelete
    11. Oh wow! This looks so rich and dark and perfectly decadent :) Wonderful!

      ReplyDelete
    12. My Bundt cakes love to stick, too, but covered with that amazing icing, no one would be the wiser! Looks fabulous, Emily!

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

    You might also like reading:

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...