Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Union League Cafe New Haven, CT and WIAW

It is Wednesday already and I cannot believe it. I guess it is better that the week is half way over than just starting. I am already dreaming about the weekend. 

With it being Wednesday I have a day full of good eats for you.


Both Mr. J and I have been gone for a few days and there is not much going on in the fridge.  Breakfast was a combination of frozen banana and strawberry sherbet topped with granola. It was one sweet breakfast and reminded me of a Jamba Juice.  I will be having one of these again shortly. 



Lunch was out. I went to Qdoba.  I haven't eaten here before and I was a little confused about the "Naked" meals.  I ended up with the pick 2 options obviously so I could sample as much as possible. I ended up with the chicken tortilla soup and the "naked" burrito.  I asked for extra lettuce on the bowl. It was pretty good but I think I am more partial to Chipotle. 


Dinner is from the Union League Cafe in New Haven, CT.  We have heard how good this restaurant is for years and thought there was no time than the present to check it out.  There is nothing like a random weeknight to go out for a fancy dinner date night.


We shared the mussels as an appetizer. They were so good and I could have had the whole platter on my own.  It was a good thing I didn't though because me meal was equally delicious.  I got the halibut from the seasonal Spring menu. This isn't a typical dish I would order because it was served with a very rich cream sauce.  The butter and cream taste really came through but it was in the best possible way.  

There was also asparagus and fava beans as well.  I am not sure of my feelings on fava beans. I eat them on rare occasions. I don't mind the taste but every time I heard the name I think of Silence of the Lambs.


Besides the good food the Union League Cafe is housed in a very historic building. I copied a portion from the website describing the building and its history.  

The historic Sherman Building is the site of Union League Cafe which is located directly across from Yale University and steps from the historic green of New Haven, Connecticut. The restaurant is situated on the site of the home of New Haven's first Mayor, Roger Sherman, the only American whose name appears on the Declaration of Independence, the Articles of Confederation and the Constitution. One hundred years later, Gaius Fenn Warnier, one of the city's leading industrialists, built his townhouse, which today forms the core of the building.

From the 1880's through the 1940's our site served as the Union League Club, a private civic and social club. An elegant addition in 1902 created the atmosphere our guests experience today. Designed in the Beaux Arts tradition by new Haven architect Richard Williams, the building is a New Haven landmark.

The present day's interior continues in the Beaux Art tradition with its high ceilings and moldings, accented with mahogany mantles and archways, marble pillars and vintage stained glass windows. The walls in our Clubroom are hand painted with rich murals by acclaimed New York artist, Sally Colbert. Soft lighting, hand made wall sconces and chandeliers, along with a working marble fireplace only further highlight the historic architecture so well preserved today.




8 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I would adore a meal there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize you were from CT! If you're ever look for a great little place to eat, try Harry's Hot Dog Stand in Colchester. It's a little bit of a drive from New Haven but it's a beautiful little town and that place is legendary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Qdoba, but have only better than a couple times. I have gotten the chicken soft shell tacos both times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is nice just to get out around town and I am glad you finally had the opportunity to go to the Union League Cafe, your meal looks to be well worth making a second trip. Also, the yogurt sherbert breakfast does sound like a great healthy way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't had Qdoba in forever. I prefer Chipotle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a heavenly eatery :)
    Thanks!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow this all sounds so delicious!! I love the start off with sherbert & frozen banana - sounds heavenly! What a way to start the day. :) And this halibut dish, swooooon, I could totally go for a big plate of that!
    -Lacy @ NYCityEats.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm ready for the weekend too! I haven't been to Q'doba since college. We always thought it was a Chipotle knock-off and wished for the real thing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...