Thursday, April 12, 2012

Whole Wheat, Oatmeal, Dark Chocolate Cookies


Our dessert for Easter was quite the debate.  I wanted cake...carrot cake, coconut cake, and chocolate cake.  Maybe not all three but at least one.  Mr. J does not like cake however and when I asked him which one he would enjoy the most he just looked at me like he didn't want to make a decision.


We still had some pound cake left and the honey muffins.  It seemed a bit indulgent to have one more thing. It was Easter though and I needed something more dessert.


I ended up picking something simple and easily changed up for a bit of healthiness.  I switched in whole wheat flour and added a whole bunch of oatmeal.  My final rational was that although I was making them for Easter cookies can last many days.  No need to rush.  I have been enjoying them every day since. 


Whole Wheat, Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip Cookies

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 36 minutes


Ingredients (15 cookies)
  • 1 1/2 C whole-wheat flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 C unsalted butter
  • 1 C packed brown sugar
  • 1 C white sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3 C old-fashioned oats
  • 1 1/2 C dark chocolate chips
Instructions
Preheat the oven to 325.

Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and set aside.

Cream the butter and sugars together with the mixer for 3-6 minutes on medium until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and continue to beat for a another minute, scraping down the sides a few times.

Reduce the mixer speed to low and add in the flour mixture until just combined. It’s good to note here that a double batch of this dough will not fit in my mixer bowl and everything else had to be done by hand. Mix in the oats and chocolate chips.

Scoop out spoonfuls, and roll into balls with your hands. Place a few inches apart on a parchment-paper lined baking sheet.

Bake for 15 minutes or until cooked through.
Powered by Recipage

13 comments:

  1. I don't know whether I would indulge with these for breakfast or dessert. Ah well, maybe both! They look delicious, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm...these look fantastic, Emily. And I appreciate that they're a healthier cookie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoever came up with the whole oatmeal chocolate chip combo I would say is pretty much a genius. I love these cookies and the wheat flour is a great idea to. Classic but oh so unforgettable-enjoy those cookies Emily-I know I would, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, I'm sure Mr. J was over the moon with these. Like him, I'm not into cakes and so this looks like a great decision you made: a tasty, healthy touch for Easter. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear, Emily, did you know that oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are one of my all-time favorites?! LOVE! I love the idea of healthy-ing them up a bit too with the whole wheat. Delicious and much more nutrient-rich than the kind I usually grab for. Thanks! Definitely trying these very very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. whole wheat and oatmeal combined with chocolate is just brilliant. I would love to store a batch of these and have a treat a day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm, these look nice and healthier yet so chewy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. MR. J DOESN'T LIKE CAKE? Is he human?
    Haha, sorry. That's just so baffling to me. These cookies look wonderful, though. I love the healthy twist.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am going to call these healthy, surpassing the chocolate chips due to whole wheat and oats - how utterly delicious!!! :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  10. These cookies look great, Emily! I love the chocolate chunks! I'm not usually a fan of the traditional raisins in oatmeal cookies, so these are a definite winner!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I coud actually bake this week without feeling guilty so I'm pleased to see that someone else was baking, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE these flavors!! Those cookies look like perfection

    ReplyDelete
  13. You make baking such an easy tasks for all of us readers. This is the first time I've seen your blog but you amaze with this treat! Thanks for sharing such wonderful recipe.

    Haley
    Learn2Serve Food Safety Certification

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...