Friday, April 13, 2012

Friday, Friday: Escarole and Bean Soup

I am so happy it is Friday.  If there are any more days this week I am not sure I would make it.  Yesterday morning was quite a doozy. My morning routine is fairly similar.  I get some coffee, watch the news, and check emails and blogs before hopping into the shower.  My make-up routine is also very simple, some days I skip the process altogether.  The days I do go out prettying myself up a bit it is just some foundation, powder, mascara.  I cannot do eyeliner.  My own redness of my cheeks most days make up for the lack of blush. it is a 2 minute process at most.


Well yesterday I started this simple process only to somehow squeeze my powder container so tight it jumped up between my fingers, flew 2 feet above my head, did a nice triple spin until it hit the floor.  The container was partially open and of course spewed beige colored powder all over me, my white blouse, and the bathroom.  No worries though, a bit of a shake and a rub and no one could tell.

I should have taken this as a sign to just move on and call it a day with the make up but no.  I went on to the mascara.  Of course, my hands must have had some grease on them because not two seconds after starting in on the first eye the wand slipped right out of my hand and down my front.  No shaking or rubbing would have eliminated the black streaks.  Off I went to change my clothes.  

The whole day continued in the same haphazard way so I don't think I am out of line to hope and pray that today is more smooth and I can reach the weekend.



So I don't have a list today. I have a recipe for soup.  Soothing soup that is sure to put a smile on your face after a long, messy day.  

Escarole and Bean Soup

by Giada De Laurentiis
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Keywords: saute soup/stew



Ingredients (serves 6)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 pound escarole, chopped
  • Salt
  • 4 cups low-salt chicken broth
  • 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (1-ounce) piece Parmesan
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
Instructions
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add the escarole and saute until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add a pinch of salt. Add the chicken broth, beans, and Parmesan cheese. Cover and simmer until the beans are heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Ladle the soup into 6 bowls. Drizzle 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil over each. Serve with crusty bread.

Powered by Recipage
Happy Friday!


9 comments:

  1. This looks really good and hearty I love bean soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, escarole and beans go hand in hand. Great recipe and photos. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are having a winter/spring weather swap these days and a bowl of comforting soup like this would hit the spot!! Well done. Sorry about your makeup woes.. I have had powder get all over my white shirts too...not fun! :) Have a great weekend my friend!! ~ Ramona

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love escarole and bean soup, and your version looks delicious. That bread side looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This soup would be just perfect for these cool April evenings we've been having in DC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh i love greens in soup! Sorry about your morning, but looks like it ended up a good day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The soup looks terrific and I've done the same thing with my make-up, too! Here's hoping you have a GREAT weekend to make up for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love light italian soups like this-yum! The best part is that they offer so much nutrition and they do not weight you down. Perfect for lunch or brunch. It looks tasty.
    Regarding make-up, it can stain. My sister dropped a bottle and ruined her bathroom rug as well as tennis shoes. She said she tried everything to get it out. I hope that you can get the mascara streaks out of your clothes! Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...