Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Mongolian Beef


When I was little I didn't like any type of Asian food.  The rest of my family however loved the stuff. I was the unwanted child when it came time to go out to eat Chinese food.  The famous story was that before we would actually end up at the restaurant my parents would make a pit stop at the closest Burger King to pick some chicken tenders.  Once upon a time I loved Burger King Chicken tenders dipped in honey. 


Lucky for us the Chinese restaurant where my parents dined didn't mind little old me and my bag from Burger King. Since then I have changed in many ways, including my found liking of Chinese food. Now it is one of my favorite take out options. 


It is hard to top tried and true Chinese from restaurants but I have found that I can recreate certain dishes fairly well.  I can even make them a bit more healthy along the way. 


One of the first dishes I ever started eating at Chinese restaurants was Mongolian Beef. 


This recipe cuts back on the oil and amps up the garlic. I added a bit of crushed red pepper to spice things up and loaded up on the green onions. I hope you enjoy!




Mongolian Beef
by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: saute entree Chinese



Ingredients (serves 4)
  • 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
  • ½ teaspoon ginger, minced
  • 2 tablespoon garlic, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • ½ cup soy sauce
  • ½ cup water
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vegetable oil , for frying meat
  • 1 lb flank steak
  • ¼ cup cornstarch
  • 6 large green onions, chopped
Instructions


For the Sauce:
  Heat 2 tsp. of vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium/low heat. Don't get the oil too hot.

 Add ginger and garlic to the pan and quickly add the soy sauce and water before the garlic scorches.

For the Beef:

Slice the flank steak against the grain into 1/4" thick bite-size slices. Tilt the blade of your knife at about a forty five degree angle to the top of the steak so that you get wider cuts. Dip the steak pieces into the cornstarch to apply a very thin dusting to both sides of each piece of beef. Let the beef sit for about 10 minutes so that the cornstarch sticks.

As the beef sits, heat up additional oil in a wok. Heat the oil over medium heat until it's nice and hot, but not smoking. Add the beef to the oil and sauté until brown. Stir the meat around a little so that it cooks evenly.
After a couple minutes, use a large slotted spoon to take the meat out and onto paper towels. Dab excess oil off meat with a paper towel and add to medium saucepan with the sauce in it. Put the pan back on the oven over medium/low heat. Add chopped green onions and let sauce simmer until warm.
Serve over rice.
Powered by Recipage

13 comments:

  1. LOL...cute story about Burger King! This would be my husband...not my children...doing this :) But he would eat your delicious Mongolian beef!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how tastes can change after you grow up! This dish is one of my top five at the Chinese restaurant and it is great that you lightened it up a bit. I will need to try your version!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A++++++ dish!! You have come away from not liking Asian food.. you are cooking it like a rock star!! I'm drooling! Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops... I meant "you have come a long way from not liking Asian food". I was still thinking of the dish and my mind turned to jello. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lose my thoughts all of the time when I am focused on foods. Hope all is well!

      Delete
  5. That looks so good--the sauce looks insanely flavorful and I've been craving beef for the last couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alright, I'm going to be making this for dinner some day this week...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank goodness our taste buds change as we get older! I used to hate meatloaf and now I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this looks amazing! I love this sort of dish and that you made it more healthy is a BONUS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm, it looks perfect! :) What a great at home solution.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum!! This looks great. I was one of those weird kids who would have eaten this as a kid even. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! I love Mongolian beef too! This is a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...