Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Mom In The Kitchen


My mom and dad were visiting this weekend and though we had the best intentions of making marvelous things in the kitchen we just didn't get around to it. Sigh.  I really miss cooking with my mom.  We don't get a chance nearly often enough.  I suppose we will have to wait to the next visit.  I was so disappointed by not cooking together I knew I had to do something myself.


As with everything else lately it needed to be something fresh and warm weather inspiring.  One of Mr. J's all time favorite desserts is strawberry shortcake. Now he likes the biscuit kind but I am much more of a pound cake kind of girl. With a new cookbook and a recipe for cream cheese pound cake I knew exactly what I was going to make.


Now this is no diet recipe.  I had a go to pound cake recipe from Southern Living magazine way back when and it consisted of 1.5 pounds of butter, 6 eggs, and lots of sugar. It was so good but just knowing what the ingredients were deterred me from making it too often.


This recipe cut back on the butter and added some cream cheese. I, of course, decided this was the healthful version. Add some vanilla and you have one delicious cake on your hands.

 
 I folded in the flour myself adding some exercise into my baking adventures. It was good, really good.  The recipe calls for a 9x5 loaf pan which I don't have.  I filled a 8x3.5 loaf pan and made 4 cupcakes. Added bonus is the cupcakes cook faster and we had (more) instant gratification.  Mr. J still had time to run out to the store for his special spray can whipped cream. 
Cream Cheese Pound Cake

by Joy the Baker
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour


Ingredients (serves 8)
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Instructions

Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees F. Grease a 9×5-inch baking pan and dust with flour. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together softened butter and cream cheese. Stop the mixer occasionally to scrape down the bowl and make sure that the butter and cream cheese are evenly mixed. Add the sugar to the butter and cream cheese mixture, and beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes.

Stop the mixer. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. On medium speed, beat in one egg at a time, beating for one minute after each addition. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Beat in vanilla extract.

Add dry ingredients all at once. Beat on low speed until dry ingredients are completely incorporated.

Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes, rotating once or twice during baking. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, or with just a few crumbs.

Powered by Recipage

13 comments:

  1. Sorry you and your mom did not get a chance to create in the kitchen, sometimes there is not enough minutes in the day.
    Your cake looks amazing! The mix of the cream cheese was a great idea-I am sure that it did wonders to the flavor. Happy Tuesday Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love cooking with my mom too. This pound cake looks wonderful, and I agree...a "healthy" version that I would feel great eating :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw my mom and I love cooking together too! Only I like to bake and she likes to cook so she makes dinner and I always make dessert :) Your pound cake sounds soooo good! Super moist and yummy! I've never made pound cake with cream cheese before, must try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like the most perfect combination.

      Delete
  4. I feel like I barely ever get to cook with my mom or grandmom either, it's ashame! But at least you got to make this delicious pound cake! It sounds amazing! Whenever I think it's too much butter I always substitute with cream cheese, like that's so much better lol! It does however, make for a tasty cake! Sounds amazing!
    -Lacy @ NYCityEats.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely going to start doing this in other recipes too.

      Delete
  5. My mum is always sitting at the counter just watching me, asking to do a little mixing or frosting or tasting my caramel ;)
    Sorry your mum and you didn't get to cook together - at least this delicious pound cake with its dense yet fluffy nature can cheer you up :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss baking with my family too. But it sounds like your mom is probably with you in spirit every time you do bake! Thank you for sharing. I hope you are having a wonderful Spring week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I am in the kitchen I think of my mom and grandma. So many memories!

      Delete
  7. Pound cake is one of my favorite desserts. This one looks yummy!

    Hopefully next time you and your mom can create together :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I miss cooking with my mom too. It's hard since we live apart. But, this pound cake looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...