Monday, May 21, 2012

Raspberry Pie


Dessert to me is chocolate. It can be mixed with fruit but a fruit pie in an of itself just doesn't do anything for me. No excitement whatsoever. I like making pie but the eating part just seems like wasted calories.


This creates a  bit of controversy for Mr. J and I.  See, he loves pie. His favorite is apple.  Again no excitement whatsoever for me.  Every year I will make one for his birthday and it is all his.


My favorite part of pie is the crust.  I fold over the extra overlap on the top and then crimp away.


The crimping is therapeutic.  The rhythm over and over again. Repeat. Repeat. Love it.  I think I could do this all day long.


Finally there is a little egg wash on top and ...


into the oven it goes.  Note to self: clean stove top and inside of oven.


Now if I were to have to pick a fruit pie, berry would win out.  Plus the color is so pretty.


We went out to dinner shortly after this pie came out of the oven so there was no fighting over when was the appropriate time for the first slice. Normally about 5 minutes after it makes it out of the oven Mr J. wants his piece.  Once cold though the fruit filling keeps its shape much better.  Worked out well for my photos.


Raspberry Pie
by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes



Ingredients (serves 8)
  • 3 cups frozen raspberries
  • 1/2 cup agave nectar
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • Pinch salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
Instructions
Gently toss the raspberries with the sugar, thickener, salt, and spices. Stir in the lemon juice and pile into the rolled-out shell, making the pile a little higher in the center than at the sides.

Cover with your pie top.

Place the pie on a baking sheet and brush the top lightly egg wash.

Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes at 450˚F degrees

Reduce the heat to 350˚F and bake another 40 to 50 minutes, or until the pie is golden brown. Do not underbake.

Cool on a rack before serving warm or at room temperature; steal bites of the crust to ensure it tastes as good as it smells.
Powered by Recipage

6 comments:

  1. This pie is thwe epitome of perfection - I am in love with it :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost always choose chocolate too...but that is one pretty pie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great, Emily. Raspberry pie is my favorite Summer pie of all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, this pie looks divine. I love a good pie. Raspberry would be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do agree that making the crust is the most enjoyable part of making a pie. You did do a wonderful job on this one and raspberry pie is one I do not have all that often, but it rates over apple pie. Wish I had a slice-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm totally with you on pie! It's not my favorite dessert on the planet, and if I'm going to eat it, then I want chocolate cream pie or something of the sort. This berry pie looks beautiful though. The crust is so flaky!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...