Thursday, May 24, 2012

Some Like It Hot


I am not sure what to say about this dish.  It was good. It was easy to put together.  Mr. J and I like hot and spicy food.  Food that is so hot that our eyes start to water and our mouths go a bit numb.  Now that is a good time.


We have been super busy lately. I know y'all can relate.  I am a big planner but lately even my planning methods seem to be failing.  I have been traveling; Mr. J has been traveling.  Of course, it is never at the same time.  Trying to figure out meals and groceries has been difficult.  Expiration dates become extremely important.


There have been some misses.  And it kills me a bit to say that I have had to throw away full bags of food.  Not too many, but for me one is too much. 

This meal was put together in about 15 minutes total.  I used a bag of frozen shrimp, shredded carrots, and mixed broccoli slaw.  Besides mincing some garlic and mixing the sauce up you just have to wait for everything to cook and that isn't even that long.

We ate it hot the first night and then I had two servings leftover that I ate as a cold noodle salad.  Both tasted great.  I amped up the hotness of this recipe but if you like to be able to feel you lips after the meal you can certainly cut back.

Shrimp Thai Noodles With Spicy Peanut Sauce

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes




Ingredients (serves 4)
    Noodles
    • 12 ounces Soba noodles
    • 4 tablespoons sesame oil
    Sauce
    • 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
    • 1/4 cup peanuts, chopped
    • 1/2 cup finely shredded carrots
    • 1 package broccoli slaw mix
    • 3 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
    • 1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
    • 1 tablespoon crushed red peppers
    • 2 teaspoons hot chile paste
    • 1/2 cup chicken broth
    • 3 teaspoon soy sauce
    • 1/4 cup honey
    • 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
    • 1/4 cup soy sauce
    • 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
    • 1lb pre-cooked shrimp
    Instructions

    Cook pasta in a large pot of salted water according to package directions.

    Drain and return to pot.

    Add 2 Tbsp sesame oil to pasta and toss to coat. Set aside.

    Heat remaining 2 Tbsp sesame oil in heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add green onions, carrots, broccoli slaw, garlic and ginger. Saute until vegetables soften, about 4 minutes. Add pre-cooked shrimp and heat through.

    Add honey, peanut butter, soy sauce, vinegar and chile sauce and mix well. Simmer sauce 2 minutes.

    Pour sauce over pasta and toss well. Transfer to platter and serve warm. Garnish with additional green onions and peanuts, if desired.

    Powered by Recipage

    10 comments:

    1. Wow this dish looks great! Glad I stopped by!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Ok this is going to be a hit in my house - great recipe - so happy to follow you!
      Mary x

      ReplyDelete
    3. Ha-after seeing this I am thinking of all those women that buy lip plumpers that have that stinging sensation to puff them up. This meal sounds like it would do the trick!
      There are lots of great elements here and I will need to keep this in mind when I am craving a spicy asian dish. Great recipe!

      ReplyDelete
    4. I love this! Great recipe and I'm a huge fan of spicy, so it definitely works for me!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Spicy is the best - this recipe looks fantastic :D
      Love noodles!

      Cheers
      Choc Chip Uru

      ReplyDelete
    6. Oh, boy, does this look fabulous. Yup, I'd definitely have to cut the spice for my family, but I think they've love it :)

      ReplyDelete
    7. I like the addition of broccoli slaw. What an easy way to add veggies to the meal. Perfect for weeknight meals!

      ReplyDelete
    8. This looks amazing! I can’t wait to give it a try!

      ReplyDelete
    9. This sounds delicious! I love spicy peanut sauce, and it sounds simple enough to make :)!

      ReplyDelete
    10. Yum! Gotta love meals that come together quickly AND taste great!

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

    You might also like reading:

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...