Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Decadent Chocolate Chunk Brownies

I can already tell that this week is going to be full of long days. Monday was a bit rough. It was a travel day for me and by the time I arrived at my destination I was wiped out. Bed time at 9pm really hit the spot.  Unfortunately emails did not get responded to, blogs were not read, and I am pretty sure by Thursday I will not have a daily posting myself.  I will think positively though and hope that I will gain an extra hour or two somewhere down the road.



The past few days can be summed up as two things: beer and brownies.  Healthy, I know.  I am going to try to lose some of the winter softness that seems to have taken over certain parts of my body before the temperatures get too much warmer.


I like to think of these brownies as the last decadence.  Boy were they decadent too.  It probably didn't help that Mr. J thought that adding ice cream was a brilliant idea.  Brilliant I tell you.


They ended up being a nice mix of cake and fudge like brownies.  We pretty much cleaned the pan in two days.  The third day was spent picking up the remaining crumbs.  I will miss them dearly.

I am currently in Virginia for the rest of the week and I am hoping that I will be able to detox a bit from the sweets.  With travel I can go both ways...sometimes it is so easy to stick with a healthy diet and only three meals a day with no snacks.  Those are the good days. Other trips I live for the next chocolate chip cookie to come my way, or more precisely I conscientiously seek them out.

Chocolate Chunk Brownies

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes



Ingredients (serves 8)
  • 10 ounce bittersweet chocolate
  • 1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) butter, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
Instructions
1. Chop chocolate into about 1/2-inch chunks; you should have about 2 cups. In a small, microwave-safe bowl, combine half the chocolate and the butter. Heat in a microwave oven on half-power (50%) just until chocolate is soft and butter is melted, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Stir until mixture is smooth. Let stand until just warm to touch.

2. In a bowl, with a wooden spoon, beat eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla until smooth. Add chocolate mixture and stir until well blended. Add flour, about a third at a time, stirring after each addition just until blended. Add remaining chopped chocolate and mix just until chunks are evenly distributed.

3. Grease pan with butter. Scrape batter into pan; spread level.

4. Bake in a 325 degree oven just until surface develops a thin crust about 20 to 25 minutes. Do not over bake.

5. Cool completely in pan on a rack, at least 1 hour. Cut into 8 squares.
Powered by Recipage

11 comments:

  1. This does look like something that would disappear quickly! Your pictures convey that these are rich and fudgey-yum.
    Luckily with the spring we find ourselves more active, so that sluggishness from winter does fade. I hope you reach your food goals during your time in Virginia. Eating right while traveling is not an easy task, so kudos to your effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm brownies! They look amazing and chocolatey and good :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG life is good in Life on Food blog!!! These look decadent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I don't think these would even last 2 days in our house! And I love, love vanilla ice cream with my brownies :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you have a good week, and it slows down some for you! These brownies look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks really chocolate-packed. A treat for a chocoholic like me! ;) Will def try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, these look so rich and dense and YUM. Love the chunks, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Decadent is right! These look so fudgy and moist, I could happily dive into them :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chocolate chunk brownies? Yes please!! If these aren't the perfect way to get through a long week, then I don't know what is!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look so rich! Nothing is more perfect than a warm brownie fresh out of the oven!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A little dark chocolate can help the week feel a bit less stressful I've found.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...