Monday, May 7, 2012

Slow Cooker Sweet Potato and Balsamic Chicken


It has been a few weeks since I posted a slow cooker meal.  Sweet potatoes are something I adore.  I could probably eat them in some way every day and never get bored.  Mr. J however is not such a big fan.  He will eat sweet potato fries but he prefers the white varieties. 


After a long busy weekend this was just the meal I needed. Little prep work and one dish to clean up. Sadly, the end result wasn't that great.  I substituted chicken breasts for thighs but they ended up a bit dry.  I think this was due to the fact that they were less fatty but also because they rested on top of the liquids.

Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken and Sweet Potatoes

by Emily Morris
Cook Time: 6-8 hours



Ingredients (serves 4)
  • ½ medium onion, diced
  • 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced
  • ½ cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1 ½ cups chicken broth
  • 4 boneless chicken thighs
  • salt
  • pepper
Instructions
Spray a slow cooker with cooking spray.

Add onion and sweet potatoes. Stir to combine.

Place chicken thighs on top.

Season with salt and pepper. Pour balsamic vinegar and chicken broth over the top.

Put the cover on the slow cooker. Cook 4-6 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
Powered by Recipage

13 comments:

  1. I don't use my slow cooker nearly enough. I love balsamic vinegar, this chicken sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another post with fabulous use of the slow cooker - nice one my friend :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great recipe, I can't get enough sweet potatoes and balsamic chicken sounds just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know this gets me to thinking of all those frozen veggie steam packs that only have a mix with regular potatoes. The idea of using sweet potatoes in a crock pot bake as well as a veggie mix is a nice change of pace. No doubt the balaamic chicken and the sweet potatoes are very complimentary. Great entree Emily. Have a nice evening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't had my slow cooker out in awhile now. I was just pipe dreaming about the All-Clad on in the Williams-Sonoma catalog earlier today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry you weren't wowed by this one. I've had trouble with chicken in the crock pot, too...but it certainly is a life saver when you're out of the house all day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh boy, with my busy schedule, my slow cooker has been my best friend! Putting this on the list =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always need a quick dinner! And this looks tasty! Love balsamic vinegar!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry to hear the chicken was dry....I'm a big fan of thighs so I'd use them! The recipe sure does sound delish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well shoot- this looks easy and perfect for after a long day...gotta try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to try this recipe out... I love the idea of sweet potatoes and balsamic chicken and a slow cooker. I'll definitely try it with the chicken thighs. Other than the chicken breasts being dry, did you still like the flavors of the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flavors were good. It wasn't too strong of a balsamic flavor but you could taste it. That worked out well for us because my husband doesn't love that taste.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...