Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Pesto and WIAW

I cannot believe it is already Wednesday. I am happy and scared all at once. I have a big project at work that needs to be done by Friday. It is going to be one tough push.  On the other side, we are half way to the weekend already and that is exciting.

 

Breakfast was frozen whole wheat Van's waffles with nut butter and banana slices with a few strawberries on the side.  I had one topped with cinnamon raisin peanut butter and the other topped with Peanut Butter & Co. dark chocolate peanut butter.  I like variety.  I hate the chocolate one first.  Big mistake! It is always better to end with the chocolate side of things.


Lunch was a pesto chicken sandwich. I don't do mayo so salad type lunches just don't happen for me. I made some pesto this weekend though. Adding chicken and pesto was a perfect combination for a quick sandwich. Oh yes, a slice of fontina cheese as well.  Add some potato chips and carrot sticks and you have a semi-balanced meal.


I love being able to come up with better, more delicious ways to re-purpose leftovers. This sandwich really hit the spot.


Basil Pesto

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: blender basil walnuts



Ingredients (makes 1 cup)
  • 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup pine nuts, walnuts or almonds
  • 3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Instructions
Combine the basil in with the pine nuts, pulse a few times in a food processor. (If you are using walnuts instead of pine nuts and they are not already chopped, pulse them a few times first, before adding the basil.) Add the garlic, pulse a few times more.

Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

Powered by Recipage

Dinner was a burger. Recipe tomorrow but we had a Tex-Mex version.  Tomatillo salsa, roasted Poblano pepper and pepper jack cheese.  It was good. Messy. 







10 comments:

  1. Delicious Pesto, I like that you made lot of dishes with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pesto does look like a great meal-yum! I have some things coming up that I know I will be behind on the eight ball, but I am not going to dwell because it does stress me! Bad scheduling is all it is.
    Anyhow, I look forward to seeing that tex mex burger post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That burger looks super tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, your pesto chicken sandwich looks incredible! Once my basil crop matures, I'll try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pesto should be in a food group of its own ;)
    I'll definitely try your recipe!

    Julia
    http://polkadot-peony.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pesto looks delicious! This year I need to work on more of homemade condiments. It's fresh and you can make the amount you want. I love the pesto pasta. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful pasta dish and stunning WIAW - that breakfast has me written all over it :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love pesto and am always looking for a good recipe! Yours sounds great, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...