Monday, September 17, 2012

Honey Almond Chicken


With both of us traveling last week, we had quite of few meals out.  We wanted something homemade but simple and easy to put together.  I wanted something green.


My lack of veggie in take while on the road last week was quite sad.  I even tried.  Still I was no where close to the 6-8 services I try to fit in each day.  No smoothies for breakfast really put a damper in my fruit/veggie consumption.  I don't suppose Pumpkin Spice lattes count?


Now my body is craving fresh fruits and veggies like mad. I guess there could be worst things to crave. 


It was easy to fit in broccoli with this dish.  Mr. J is much more willing to have something like this than a great big salad for dinner.


It was made, eaten up and we have leftovers for lunch tomorrow.  The best part is that all of the ingredients were right in my pantry.  Being on the road does not lend itself to grocery shopping either.


Honey Almond Chicken

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Keywords: saute entree chicken Chinese



Ingredients (serves 4)
  • 3/4 cup rice
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons almonds
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 2-inch chunks
  • Fresh ground pepper, to taste
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 4 scallions, thinly sliced
  • 1 1/2 pounds broccoli, cut into large florets
Instructions
Cook rice according to package instructions.

Meanwhile, make sauce: In a small bowl, combine honey, sesame seeds, soy sauce, and garlic; set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together egg whites and cornstarch. Add chicken; season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Add half the chicken; cook, turning occasionally, until golden and opaque throughout, 6 to 8 minutes.

Transfer to a plate; repeat with remaining tablespoon oil and chicken.

Return all the chicken to skillet; add reserved sauce and scallions, and toss to coat.

Place a steamer basket in a large saucepan, and fill with 1 inch water; over high heat; bring water to a boil. Add broccoli, and cook until crisp-tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Serve sesame chicken with broccoli and rice.
Powered by Recipage

5 comments:

  1. *sigh* I wish I craved veggies. What a wonderful world it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, Emily! I just happen to have all of these ingredients and leftover rice that needs to be used up! I'm thinking supper. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a perfect dinner anyday of the week :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooohhhh!! I love the egg and cornstarch trick. I am definitely going to try that one out. :) It looks delicious... better than any restaurant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. the egg and the cornstarch trick sounds wonderful. I'll be sure to try that when I try this delicious recipe of yours.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...