Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Pickle, Pickle


The garden has just been spitting out peppers left and right.  Serrano, jalapeno, Garden salsa, and green peppers.  You would think our mouths would be on fire with all of these HOT eats.


Nachos have become a regular dinner.  Not that I am complaining.

The other weekend we had about 40 peppers.  I don't care if you eat nachos three times a day.  It was going to take a while to eat those babies up.  Then I got to thinking about pickled jalapenos. It couldn't be that hard right?


I got my housewife attitude on...one I quite like and set about making them. I searched a few recipes out and found the one below. One that I had all of the ingredients.  It didn't look too fussy.


About thirty minutes later I had a pint.  This recipe makes two pints, but I didn't have enough peppers (go figure!) for two. Cannot wait to crack into this in a few weeks.


Pickled Jalapenos

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes



Ingredients (2 pints)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
  • 8-10 large or 20 small jalapeno peppers (it’s about a pound) rinsed, and sliced into thin rings
Instructions
In a saucepan whisk together the vinegar, water, salt and cumin. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring until the salt dissolves.

In the meantime sterilize the jars and lids according the USDA Canning Guidelines.

Pack each pint jar tightly with sliced pepper rings and one whole garlic clove each. Leave enough room at the top so the lid rests easily on the mouth of the jar.

Using a canning funnel, ladle the hot brine to cover the pepper rings leaving about 1/4 inch at the top of each jar. Insert a clean chopstick to free any possible air bubbles and check the mouth of the jar to make sure it’s clean and then screw on the lids.

Process in a hot water bath for 10-15 minutes and then pull from the water with rubberized tongs. Each jar will ping as it cools. That means it’s sealed and safe to store on your shelf.

Once all the jars reach room temperature, store in a dark cupboard for about three weeks to let flavors develop before opening. The peppers will turn a dull shade of green but at least they won’t be slimy. Opened jars can be stored in the fridge for up to 6 months as long as you use clean utensils to take the pepper rings out each time. Sealed, these pickles will keep for about one year.

Makes 2 pints
Powered by Recipage

2 comments:

  1. Hi Emily! I made my first jar of pickles last week, and they are oh so good! I need to make another. Thank you for sharing, my friend, and for making my day a bit more happy and delicious. I hope you are having a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know this is my kind of pickle!! YUM!!! Wish I was your neighbor... I would take some of those peppers off your hands. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...