Friday, September 7, 2012

Shrimp and Herb Risotto with Roasted Tomatoes


TGIF

Seriously.


I have had two extremely long days in a row.  Last night I crashed...

only to wake up at 1:30am for the rest of the night.


Maybe it was something we ate because Mr. J was up too.  We talked about watching Big Brother On Demand at 2am since we were both wide awake.


It didn't happen.  And this is not what we ate last night so don't be worried.


This recipe is adapted from the August issue of Everyday Food.  It was supposed to be made in a pressure cooker.  Those things scare me.  The whole point of the article is to convince people they are NOT scary.  Everyday Food failed for me. 


I just adapted the recipe for a regular pan.  Then I added lots and lots of fresh tomatoes, slow cooked on the stove top. 


Delicious, melt in your mouth, cheesy goodness, with basil and roasted tomatoes. 


It was amazing.  And super hot. I think we waited like 15 minutes before eating and still had to blow on each bite so we didn't burn our mouths.  I still burnt my mouth. My patience with food is non existent. 



Shrimp-and-Herb Risotto with Roasted Tomatoes

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes





Ingredients (serves 6)
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
  • 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
  • 4 cups chicken broth, divided
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 pound large shrimp (31 to 35), peeled and deveined
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (2 ounces)
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, plus more for serving
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves, plus more for serving
  • 1 1/2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes
Instructions
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a 8 qt sauce pan over medium. Add onion and garlic and saute until soft, about 4 minutes.

Add rice and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add 2 cups broth and season with salt. Bring to boil while stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer until rice is tender, about 30 minutes. Add another cup of broth when is almost gone. Continue stirring for another 10 minutes.

During the last 10 minutes heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a saute pan. Add tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Occasionally move around pan so all sides of tomatoes are face down and heated. Remove from heat when skins begin to crack.

Stir in remaining 1 cup broth and shrimp and cook over medium until shrimp are opaque, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in Parmesan, herbs, and remaining tablespoon butter. Serve topped with additional herbs.
Powered by Recipage

5 comments:

  1. I love risotto!! This looks great. I hope you get some sleep tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to make risotto. This looks wonderful and I love the tomatoes in it. :) Have a wonderful weekend. ~ Ramona

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the kind of dinner that ends up on our table... deeeee-licious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I think I'll pass on the pressure cooker, too...but your risotto looks glorious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...