Sunday, September 23, 2012

Weekend Edition: Brooklyn Smorgasburg

Saturday Mr. J and I were restless.  And as much as I am a planner sometimes a little spontaneity does a girl some good.  We decided to jump in the car and go to Brooklyn.  Brooklyn is about two hours away.  A bit far for lunch but we were ready for an adventure.  Sadly, we ran into a few hiccups.  


We forgot the EZ pass.  Thank goodness we had cash but where we were going needed cash at our destination.  Williamsburg needs some banks. We have accounts at two national banks with no luck.  There were some serious restrictions on cash back but thankfully Dwayne Reed has nifty Chase ATMs.  

You cannot tell from this photo but the people of Brooklyn are super hip.  Mr. J described it as another world where the culture is hipster.  There were tons of trendy dogs too.
We also hit traffic.  The volume of cars on 95 and pretty much everywhere around the city is incredible.  I used to have anxiety attacks when I had to drive myself down to the airports.  Mr. J drove yesterday. I know I married him for a reason.

View from Brooklyn of the Empire State Building
Finally parking was a royal pain.  More cars. A bit of construction.  Clearly there are some expert parallel parkers out there.  We chose a garage.  Paid a ton but at least they took credit cards.  

After much debate Mr. J opted for a turkey leg.



Why did we go to all this trouble? Well, the Brooklyn Smorgasburg of course.  This flea market with food vendors.  Lots of them.  

There is probably 50 some vendors lined up just like the ultimate farmer's market but we mainly premade foods.  There was BBQ, Bolivian, Ethiopian, Colombian, Seafood, Mexican, Pastries, Ice Cream, and even Jerk and Pickles. 

We must have walked around the entire place three times before deciding what we were going to eat.



I had Fried Chicken and Cheddar Waffles.  The Cheddar waffles part is what sold me.


Homemade S'mores anyone?  I got the Salted Sailor. Cinnamon graham cracker with vanilla bean marshmallow and caramel sauce.


We shared a drip coffee from the Blue Bottle Co.


And a doughnut from Dough. Cafe au lait.  It was marvelous.  I had two bites.  Best two bites of my life.


We had so much fun! I hope you had a great weekend too.

Here is what I was up to this week:


5 comments:

  1. OMG everything looks amazing!!! Esp the cheddar waffle and the s'mores!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm extremely jealous of all that stuff you ate, especially the cheddar waffles and Salted Sailor s'mores! I haven't stopped by in a while, and my goodness I've missed a lot. That cheddar pull-apart bread looks to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! How much fun. I'm not jealous of the traffic or parking but the food look so amazing. Thank you so much for sharing...what a delicious way to end my weekend. I hope you have a beautiful Monday, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you chose to eat at the fair. I would have had the exact same thing! And so what if it was a bit of trouble, you had a fun adventure day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great foodie week...between what you cooked up and the Brooklyn Smorgasbord, you dined on lots of winners! Hope this week is just as yummy~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...