Friday, September 14, 2012

No Stress Cupcakes with Whipped


It was a match made in heaven when I found out Kristina's birthday was this week too.  We just had to celebrate together via her cupcakes.  Or you could check out this cake.  Kristina makes great recipes that are good for you.  She has even recently got a nutritionist on board to post real facts and tidbits about the ingredients in her recipes. I feel so smart after reading her posts.  I then of course have to share all of the information with Mr. J.  He doesn't quite get as excited as me just yet but I am gaining grounds. He did however do a little happy dance with this recipe.  He loves these little cupcakes. So without further adieu, here is the adorable Kristina from Whipped.

whipped


Hi all! I am so excited to be guest posting for Emily today during her cake week! She was one of the very first blogs I started stalking when I began blogging and I am thrilled she's sharing her delicious space with me today!
My name is Kristina and I'm the blogger behind Whipped. My blog is all about finding happy healthy recipes for happy healthy bodies - meaning I love my veggies and shoot for weeknight salads, but if you're going to give me an excuse to make cake.... pleaseeeee let me have my cake and eat it too! 
And as if Emily's cake week wasn't excuse enough to indulge in some cupcakes, my birthday happens to be the same week as hers too. It seemed like perfection when she asked me to join in on the festivities! 

It didn't take me long to decide which recipe I wanted to share with you all today. I made these for the first time a few weeks ago and have been dying for another chance to bake a batch! Growing up I loved Hostess anything. Ho hos, Twinkies,  Ding Dongs... you name it. I found it in a vending machine. 
This version of the Hostess cupcake is even better than the original - no hydrogenated fats, high fructose corn syrup, 25 letter chemical names I cannot even begin to pronounce... just irresistible vanilla cream in between a rich chocolately cupcake, topped with a smooth layer of more chocolate ganache. YUM!

I found this recipe in one of my favorite vegan cookbooks - Chloe's Kitchen. This girl is awesome. She won The Food Network Cupcake Wars and knows how to do some serious vegan baking. So in honor of my birthday and Emily's I wanted to share a favorite cake recipe of mine, from a very favorite cookbook of mine - to celebrate a very fabulous week!
Enjoy!

"No-Stess" Cupcakes
Yields 14 cupcakes
Ingredients:
For the Cupcakes
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup sugar
    1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup coffee
    1/2 cup canola oil
    2 tablespoons white vinegar
    2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

For the Creme Frosting
    1 cup nonhydrogenated vegetable shortening
    3 cups powdered sugar
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    2 to 5 tablespoons soy milk

For the Chocolate Ganache
    1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
    1/4 cup canned coconut milk, mixed well before measuring
    2 tablespoons canola oil

Preparation:
 To Make the Cupcakes:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two 12-cup cupcake pans with 14 liners. 
2.Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together coffee, oil, vinegar, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and whisk just until combined.
3. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter and bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it. Cool completely before frosting.
To Make Creme Frosting:
1.  Beat shortening in a medium bowl until smooth. With the mixer on low, add powdered sugar, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon soy milk at a time, as needed, until frosting reaches a spreadable consistency. Beat on high for 2 more minutes until light and fluffy.
To Make Chocolate Ganache:
1.  Melt chocolate chips and coconut milk in the microwave. Whisk in oil until smooth.
To Assemble Cupcakes:
1.  Using a pastry pag fitted with a small round tip, fill with creme frosting. Insert tip of pasty bag into the top of each cupcake and squeeze to fill the cupcake with about 2-3 teaspoons frosting. Spread the top of each cupcake with a thin layer of the ganache and pipe loops of creme frosting on top. 


Thanks so much again for having me Emily! Happy birthday!! Hope you had a fabulous week of celebrating!

Thanks Kristina!

I think I have gained a few extra pounds this week with all of these great cake treats for my birthday. I am so honored for every one who contributed a recipe. 

6 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having me again today Emily! Happy happy birthday week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAYYYY!!! Kristina is my bestie!!!! I'm so happy you guys joined birthday forces--and these cupcakes are bril. Of course. As always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristina you have outdone yourself, these are GORGEOUS :D

    Cheers
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated birthdays. I thought these were naughty cupcakes but I'm now so happy they are healthy. I gotta try these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I just found this blog I want to try this recipe but need to make sure that it's correct. It has 1/2 canola oil twice, is that correct???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ops! You are right. It is a mistake. Only one 1/2 cup of oil.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...