Thursday, May 1, 2014

Homemade Taco Seasoning

Making your own seasonings is so easy. You can control what goes in (less salt) and the flavorings. This taco seasoning has just the right amount of heat.




For a while we had so many spices that just sat and accumulated dust. If you know me, you know that wasting food and taking up space are too of my biggest pet peeves. Now I try to only have the most used on hand. Any additional spices I need I buy from bulk containers, only what I need. I also buy combinations to make blends.  


The blends are more cost effective and you can control what goes into the blend. Not only can you shift the flavors to match your preferences but you can limit the salt. Spice blends from the store tend to have so much salt. 


To kick off a few recipes for Cinco de Mayo, I thought I would share my taco seasoning blend. This recipe is very versatile and works great for tacos or enchilada seasoning. You can also add it to popcorn. 




Taco Seasoning

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Keywords: Mexican
Ingredients (2 batches)
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
Instructions
Mix together all ingredients. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.

To use:
For every one pound of meat use about 2 tablespoons.

Cook your meat (Ground beef, chicken, or turkey) in a saute pan until just done and browned. Drain off any remaining fat. Sprinkle seasoning evenly over meat and add 1/3 cup of water. Simmer until water is adsorbed.
Powered by Recipage

1 comment:

  1. This is just about the combo I use! I need to measure sometime instead of just dumping :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...