Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Grilled Salmon & Avocado Salad

Fresh grilled salmon with a light salad of avocado and red onion.
 


Oh my I am so not ready to go back to work. I just had five days off and this week my whole family was here. It was wonderful. I wish those times would never end.  We swapped stories from my brother and I growing up.  Clearly our spouses didn't know what they were getting into when they joined our family.




One thing we didn't have a lot of growing up was salmon. First, we lived in Iowa. Iowa has wonderful fish. That list though doesn't include salmon. Salmon is one of my favorite fishes to eat. I love the thick solid flakes and the fatness of this fish.  




The third and final recipe I made from the Michael Symon cookbook is grilled salmon and avocado salad.  I couldn't resist trying out a recipe with salmon and avocado. Like the spicy 50/50 burger and the Angel Hair with Corn, Feta &Tomato the salmon took more than 5 minutes but it was still a super quick meal to throw together. 




You have to plan the avocados just right to get nice soft but crisp slices. Ours was a bit too soft. All the flavors melded together so nicely. It was a great summertime meal that was filling but not heavy at all.


Grilled Salmon & Avocado Salad

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: saute salmon avocado
Ingredients (serves 4)
  • 4 (6-ounce) skinless salmon steaks
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon chipotle powder
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Grated zest and juice of 2 limes
  • ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
  • 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 avocado, sliced
Instructions
Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.

Season the salmon on both sides with salt, pepper, and the chipotle powder. Drizzle with the olive oil and put on the grill. Cook until nicely charred and the fish releases from the grill, about 3 minutes, then flip, and cook until medium-rare, about 2 minutes. If you prefer your fish to be cooked past medium-rare, cover the grill while cooking.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together the lime zest and juice, onion, cilantro, extra-virgin olive oil, and a good pinch of salt. Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding salt and pepper as needed. Add the sliced avocado and toss gently to coat the avocado.

Remove the salmon from the grill, top with avocado salad, and serve
Powered by Recipage

1 comment:

  1. Now that looks gourmet! I love avocado, this looks like a fancy dinner I would chow down. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...