Monday, May 26, 2014

Orange-Glazed Brussels Sprouts {SRC}


Oh my goodness! Now that summer is finally here it feels like the time is flying by. I feel like we just posted April's Secret Recipe Club reveal.


This month I got Becky from A Calculated Whisk. I really enjoyed going through Becky's experience with Whole 30.  I occasionally make paleo meals but don't think I could commit 100%. I find it interesting to read about how others make it more practical.  There are all sorts of recipes on A Calculated Whisk.  I tried to stay away from her massive dessert list and stick with veggies. After all bikini season is almost here.  My husband was hankering for the roasted beet carrot salad with goat but I wanted the Brussels sprouts


This isn't the most seasonal recipes but I do love Brussels sprouts. I would eat them year round if I could convince my husband.  We had family over for Memorial Day weekend and I used the opportunity to share the Brussels sprouts.  Funny how one of my favorite foods is a food both my parents claim to hate.  Well, this recipe didn't make them lovers of Brussels sprouts but they did eat a full serving after the taste test.


Orange-Glazed Brussels Sprouts

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Keywords: bake side Brussels sprouts orange
Ingredients (serves 4)
For the Brussels sprouts:
  • 3 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
  • 2 teaspoons coconut oil, melted
  • Sea salt, to taste
For the orange glaze:
  • 1 teaspoon coconut oil
  • 1 large or 2 small shallots, sliced thinly into rings
  • Zest of 1 orange
  • Fresh-squeezed juice of 2 oranges (about 2/3 cup)
  • 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
  • 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
  • 1 teaspoon tapioca starch
  • Salt to taste
  • Sliced scallions, for serving (optional)
Instructions
Preheat the oven to 400 and line a sheet pan with parchment. While the oven is heating up, zest and juice the oranges and prepare the Brussels sprouts.

In a bowl place Brussels sprouts and toss to coat with salt and oil. Place the Brussels sprout halves on the prepared pan and roast for 10-15 minutes, turning once, until browned and crisp-tender.

While the Brussels sprouts are roasting, make the glaze. Heat the coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat, add the shallots, and cook until browned in spots, about five minutes. Add the orange zest and stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Add the orange juice, coconut aminos, and ginger. Whisk until well combined. Let the sauce simmer for about five minutes, then whisk in the tapioca starch. Continue to simmer the sauce thickens, 2-3 minutes more. Set the glaze aside until the sprouts are ready.

When the Brussels sprouts are done, transfer them to a large serving bowl. Pour the sauce over, toss to combine, sprinkle with scallions, and serve hot.
Powered by Recipage



20 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! I love Brussels sprouts, but adding orange glaze looks like it would make them even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always searching for new ways with Brussels sprouts, so this recipe is more then welcome!

    hope you are having fun with the Reveal Day collection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you liked the brussels sprouts, Emily--they are one of my favorite veggie sides and yours look delicious! In fact, I could eat that whole bowl for breakfast right now. LOL at your mention of my "massive dessert list"--I'm trying to stay away from sweets, too (but not doing so well, as you may have noticed from my SRC pick this month). :) Happy Reveal Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I will try these but roast them on the grill so I don't have to turn on my oven. I am so happy the weather here in Michigan has finally decided to catch up with the rest of the world LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brussels Sprouts are a favorite vegetable. I usually just roast them, but I bet this glaze makes them so much better!! Great pick this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore Brussels sprouts and am always looking for new ways to make them. Thanks for the recipe. They look yummy!
    Renee - Kudos Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love brussels too!! But the boys (hubby and son) aren't really fans...and my daughter loves them. So I like having an excuse like a good recipe to make them :) Happy reveal day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like a great recipe to make a convert out of BS haters! Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE Brussels sprouts, and the addition of orange juice looks like a great way to give them a fresh flavor. My family doesn't care for them, so more for me! :) Happy Reveal day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brussels are definitely one of my fave veggies... these ones look delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it when someone picks a side dish for SRC. And we're not afraid of the Brussels sprouts - pinning for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Brussels sprouts and never tire of trying new recipes with them, no matter what time of year. Love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Emily I feel like time is flying by too. The good news is you got to try another new recipe. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These sound fantastic and I LOVE how your pictures turned out! Great choice for the SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yummy! I used to really hate brussel sprouts, but now they are growing on me. These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. YUM! I love having another fabulous Brussels sprouts recipe to try!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a bag of brussel sprouts at home with this recipes name allll over it! Great pick this month!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Brussels sprouts!! And these sound delicious. I may have to go check out Becky's Whole 30 experience too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love Brussels sprouts and I'm always looking for new ways to try them. With it being full-on sprout season here right now, this is right up my alley.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brussels sprouts are already really hard to keep in our house; now, it'll probably be even harder. We made this recipe a few nights ago, and someone has already cleaned up the last of the leftovers (no one is willing to confess).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...