Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A little poop-E

My brother is quite the adventurer.  He is currently living in Laos.  Since his move, he and his wife have been able to explore a lot of Southern Asia.  This also means that come Christmas and birthdays we get some pretty interesting gifts.  This year for Christmas Mr. J got this box.


Have you ever seen the movie The Bucket List?  While in the hospital Jack Nicholson's character is drinking this coffee.  It is some of the most expensive coffee in the world, Kopi Luwak.  Would you like to know why?  Well, its weasel coffee.  Basically, weasels eat the coffee beans and then poop it out.  Yep, you heard read that right.  This is poop coffee.


Mr. J called them our two little bricks of gold.

The coffee is rare because only one type of weasel, found in only a few areas of the world like to eat the coffee beans.  Not only that but apparently they only eat from 10pm-midnight.  Talk about a strict schedule!

Finally, due to very tight rules with this coffee, the coffee growers only have a small period of time after the whole digestive process takes place to collect the "droppings" as the article eloquently puts it. 


We French Pressed it up.


It sure was a dark roast.  During the digestive process enzymes pass through the pectin layer of the coffee bean and get inside the bean.  This whole process changes the molecular structure of the bean and therefore alters the taste.  The article I read called it a "seductive taste". 

So what did we think?  My mom flat out asked if it tasted like poop.  Well, I would say no but never having tasted poop I cannot be sure.   It certainly is different.  The coffee had a unique smell and taste that I wouldn't first say was coffee-like.  Mr. J called it more nutty.  The article said it was a "chocolaty" flavor.  I liked it and am so glad to say I had me some poop coffee.  And yes, you cannot help but think you are drinking poop when you sip. 

6 comments:

  1. This is so funny, I was just telling my husband about this stuff. I can't remember what reminded me of it, but I'd heard of it from a couple different places, including The Bucket List. Glad to hear from someone who has actually tried it but I think I shall take a pass on it for now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. youre hilarious! i wouldve asked the same thing your mom did.. lol.. great post : j

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow... thank you for sharing this... I did not know that weasels were so talented! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see the coffee made your blog. I still haven't be adventurous enough to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This whole post made me laugh, beginning with the title, hahahaha. I actually have heard of this, from my old boss of all people. Interesting that you got to try it... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...